Respected Contributor

Help! I need a space air conditioner.

We just enclosed our screened back porch and we love it! Now we need an air conditioning unit, we purchased one of the electric fireplaces for winter. I read the reviews on the Dyson products that are supposed to cool and heat; many people thought the heating was great, but the cooling function received mostly negative comments.

The windows and screens are all sliders, opening sideways, not up and down, so a window a/c unit isn't possible.

I hope folks who have space a/c units can give reviews on good ones that really do the job and can be moved and stored during winter.

Thank you! 

Honored Contributor

Re: Help! I need a space air conditioner.

There are "window" units that don't have to be in a window.

It mounts on a wall.

Search by Samsung or Frigidaire. (not on QVC)

You may need professional installation.

A friend has 2 in their summer home, work perfectly

Respected Contributor

Dyson doesn't really make air conditioners, they make fans and an air purifier. I think some aspire to be air conditioners, but they just aren't.

Honeywell makes good portable AC units, but portable is relative. The machines are heavy. Look for ones with wheels and keep in mind that they might be hard plastic wheels if you have a wood floor. If you want to keep a unit in one location for the summer and then move it to storage, I'd consider that portable. If you want to move it from the bedroom to the living room and back every day, I'd say that's a big pain that doesn't feel portable.

The units need a window vent - though most will NOT show that in the pictures you need to read the listing carefully to find that information. If you don't read all the details, you might come away thinking you have a unit that does not need a window vent only to find out it doesn't work without one when you get it home.

Some work as both AC and heating units. If you already have a heater you like, no need to pay more for a dual unit. My parents have a dual AC/heating unit and it's worked well for them for about 5 years now. Unfortunately, I don't have the model number.

Some units have a moisture tank/reservoir you need to empty, like a dehumidifier. I would recommend one without that.

Honored Contributor

@this is my nic 

We have used a portable AC for years. It has wheels and has a hose the slides under the window frame. If you have watched HSN they sell the De'Longi brand, which will show you how they work.

Ours is not a name brand and it is rated at 12,000BTU. This is our 2nd one in about 11 years and we liked this brand so well, that is why we bought the same brand again. We don't use our whole house AC, and haven't for many years.

Our 4 season patio room has a Heat Pump/AC unit and that is where we spend most of our time, and where I sleep in my recliner. The Portable AC  rolls easily and can be put in any room with either type of window. Sideways the piece that goes in the window can be used vertically or horizontally.

Check them out online as I am sure Utube has some videos. These are the only kind I will ever buy as they are truly portable and the right BTU can cool most sized rooms in very high temp areas.

hckynut

hckynut(john)