Occasional Contributor

I have a little dilemma here and could use some input from all you computer smart people please.  I received my new laptop the end of May and it worked great nice and fast but only one problem ... at least once every day without warning it would just shutdown and restart.  Yes, I contacted HP help and one the techs did a bunch of work on it and it no longer shuts down/restarts but now it is so slow in uploading.  I did let them know and they once again worked on my computer but whatever they did has not made any difference.  Her only suggestion was to check out smart friends but there is a charge for that and how do I know if they can do anything.  I hate calling HP because I can never understand them!  Can anyone tell me about this smart friends ??

Respected Contributor

Try restarting your computer.  Also unplug your router for a few minutes and plug it back in.  Both worked for me when my Dell laptop was freezing and otherwise running slowly.  I recently read that rebooting your router can get rid of malware that will slow down your system.  

Occasional Contributor

I have restarted my computer but will try the router.  ty

Esteemed Contributor

@CJ, I have the same problem.  My HP was purchased at QVC and it is quite powerful.  I noticed that it started shutting down when it overheated.  I took it to my local repair, who is excellent, and he cleaned everything up and told me he had it working the best that it would be.  The problem was that it was too powerful for the case, which is really too small for this computer.  That was causing it to overheat.  It still overheats, but I now shut it down on my own whenever it becomes too hot.  

My repair person also told me that HP should be responsible for this and that he has seen this problem in a few computers. 

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Occasional Contributor

thank you sxmgirl ... my computer is not overheating just running real slow since HP support worked on it.  Granted she did fix the problem of it shutting down and restarting, but now it jusst takes forever for anything to load.  I guess for now I will deal with it at least it is not doing the shutdown/restart any more and at this time is not overheating, which my last one was doing which is why I got a new one.. the other one was 7 years old and of course was a HP also.

Respected Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

@CJ, I have the same problem.  My HP was purchased at QVC and it is quite powerful.  I noticed that it started shutting down when it overheated.  I took it to my local repair, who is excellent, and he cleaned everything up and told me he had it working the best that it would be.  The problem was that it was too powerful for the case, which is really too small for this computer.  That was causing it to overheat.  It still overheats, but I now shut it down on my own whenever it becomes too hot.  

My repair person also told me that HP should be responsible for this and that he has seen this problem in a few computers. 

I always check the vents when buying a new computer.  If the vent is on the bottom, I won't buy it.  Powerful processors and graphic cards are known for creating too mch heat.  Even ones designed for notebook computers can be a problem. One solution is to not use it on your lap.  If you do, have a cooling tray or something similar to allow for better air flow.