Respected Contributor

HP laptop repair

[ Edited ]

So I bought an HP laptop from QVC last December 1st - Christmas gift for my grandson.  After using it less than 6 months something happened to the hard drive.  I called HP - it has  1 year warranty - they immediately sent out a box and I shipped it back for repair.  Got it back a week later - it was fine.  After 1 week same problem.  I called them last Sunday and I have not received an email yet or a box from their repair center.  I called yesterday and they basically said to wait my turn.  That there's a warranty on the "fix" and it's a different process. I am infuriated about this.  How long should I wait?  And what should be my next move?  Email corporate?  Contact my attorney general's office?  And I know people are going to say to never buy computers from QVC but I've had my Dell laptop 8 and 1/2 years and it's just fine.  Got it from QVC.  I'll never buy another HP - that's for sure.

Respected Contributor

so i'm a little confused about your timeline.  They sent you out a replacement right away, and you're upset because the one that they are going to repair hasn't been sent back out already?  Do i have that right?

Don't they get a few days to look at and repair your old one?  Do you feel that your computer should get priority over the other repairs to be done? 

you are thinking about calling the attorney general, or corporate?

again, just confused about your timeline.  I read your post several times, it sounds like it's only been a week or so since you sent it in for repair. Is that correct?

Valued Contributor

I doubt the Attorney General will take any action if you just made a phone call to HP last Sunday (if I am understanding correctly).  IMHO HP has not had time to get to your issue yet.  I purchased an HP from QVC and have had no problems what so ever with it.  As they say their are lemons in every item made.  

Just an FYI for after your warranty runs out, I pay a monthly fee to HP Smart Friends (to ensure you get a legit company, get the phone number from your internet provider) as for that fee they will go on your computer daily if you wish and clean it up, ensure you have no viruses, and the list goes on.  Well worth the monthly fee as the speeds doubles when they are complete.   Have used Smart Friends (HP) for many years and never had any issues with my HP's.  Good luck with getting your issues fixed. 

Respected Contributor

Re: HP laptop repair

[ Edited ]

Kittyloo - It was repaired once - 2 weeks ago;  then after having it back a week the same problem occurred.  (This was last Friday.)  I called them Sunday for the second repair.  I'm just surprised that the first time it needed repaired they sent a box to return it immediately.  And I had it back - repaired - in a week.  Just confused that it's taking longer this time.  

They never sent a "replacement!"

Moroco - Not saying I'm thinking about calling the AG yet - just wondering what my next move should be and when.  Thanks.  And thanks about Smart Friends - sounds like a plan.

Respected Contributor

@kittyloo  She said she shipped it back to them for repair in the box they provided, and received the repaired computer back from them in about a week, but it broke down a second time.

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

Thanks 2blonde - I thought that was clear lol.

Respected Contributor

Re: HP laptop repair

[ Edited ]

@FranandZoe wrote:

How long should I wait?  And what should be my next move?  Email corporate?  Contact my attorney general's office?  And I know people are going to say to never buy computers from QVC but I've had my Dell laptop 8 and 1/2 years and it's just fine.  Got it from QVC.  I'll never buy another HP - that's for sure.

RETURN it!.  No more chances.

I've had the opposite problem.

Bought both an HP and a DELL from QVC.  The HP is great.  The DELL sux.  I'll never buy another DELL.  In fact, it crashed yesterday.  Last time this happened I thought it was "dead" for sure.  Three weeks later it was working fine.  That was the week B4 Christmas.  It "blew" again yesterday.  So, I"ll let it "sit" for 3 weeks and see what happens.

Anyway, the reason Y I said return it is because sometimes that's easier than getting it fixed.  Return and just get another computer.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

RinaRina I wish I could return it.  QVC won't take it back - it's past 30 days.

Thanks.

Respected Contributor

Ugh!  I thought if it was still in the ONE-year warranty period, you could return it.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

Ugh!  I thought if it was still in the ONE-year warranty period, you could return it.

I wish!