Esteemed Contributor

My friend has a Mac computer and installed High Sierra.  Now he can't get mail in his gmail account and Skype no longer works.

I am going to go over and have a look tomorrow.  I have been reading about issues with High Sierra.  I haven't installed it.  There seem to be loads of unhappy customers.

Anyone have issues with mail or Skype?  I will update and/or try a new install.  LM

Honored Contributor

High Sierra has a huge security flaw:

https://techcrunch.com/2017/11/28/astonishing-os-x-bug-lets-anyone-log-into-a-high-sierra-machine/

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom, thanks for this.  High Sierra sounds like a real mess after reading about issues.  Some attribute these security issues to be a real problem since Jobs has gone.

i was told at the Apple Store not to download High Sierra.  My issue was unrelated but they didn't want High Sierra issues complicating matters.  Not much of recommendation.  Holy crow!  LM

Respected Contributor

High Sierra lead to my computer failing to load.  I took it into a local Apple Authorized repair center, had it checked out and they installed Sierra for me.  So far, I've been able to block the upgrade.  I now can use my Neat portable scanner and play my Clue game.  I still have High Sierra on my Macbook and plan on doing a restore soon to put Sierra back.  I think my computers, which are 5-4 years old, are just too old to handle the operating system.  I also uninstalled Firefox's latest version and my Macbook stopped running so hot. 

I usually upgrade or update when available.  There are usually security updates I want since I shop and do banking online.  But when the new or updated versions causes as many problems as I had with High Sierra and Firefox, I revert and don't upgrade again. I switched to Apple to get away from all of this updating and upgrading.  Unfortunately, the hackers are coming after Apple products more and more. 

Esteemed Contributor
My friend’s computer already has High Sierra installed. I will try a reload of the apps and see if that helps. His computer is 4 years old I think. Should that fail, I will probably point him in the direction of Sierra.

Will Apple help him with that it should he go to a computer tech?

Thanks for the feedback! LM
Honored Contributor

I've had High Sierra since I bought my new Mac a few months ago.  Haven't noticed any problems yet.  My older Mac still just has Sierra and I don't plan on upgrading that.  No need to at this point.

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom

Apple will help him either on the phone or in person

@Lilysmom wrote:
My friend’s computer already has High Sierra installed. I will try a reload of the apps and see if that helps. His computer is 4 years old I think. Should that fail, I will probably point him in the direction of Sierra.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

Did his computer come with High Sierra or was it an upgrade?  If he has backups, which I do for both computers, he can do a restore from backup and see if that works.  That's what I'm going to do with my Macbook Pro today.  My iMac was frozen, wouldn't load, and I took it in to be checked for hardware damage.

Honored Contributor

Re: HIGH SIERRA

[ Edited ]

IG wrote:

High Sierra has a huge security flaw:

https://techcrunch.com/2017/11/28/astonishing-os-x-bug-lets-anyone-log-into-a-high-sierra-machine/

@KingstonsMom,   There have been 2 updates since then, the first one corrected that security flaw.  Security Update 2017-001 released November 29, 2017 and macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 released Dec 6, 2017.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Re: HIGH SIERRA

[ Edited ]

Just for the record, I have an older (2012) Mac and High Sierra has been running with no problems.   The initial version ran a wee bit slowly, but the next update fixed that.   It's not a mess for everyone, but I understand some people have had problems.    My Gmail account and Skype are fine.  @Lilysmom, Without details it's hard to know what's happened...  but your friend might want to try removing the browser he's using and then reinstall it.   Or, at least, be sure it's the most current version, clear all cookies/history/data/cache, close it, then relaunch it.   Be sure there aren't any browser addons/extensions causing problems.  Trying another browser might work, too.

Be sure to install all updates.   If you have problems after updating, consider repairing the disk with Disk Utility from recovery mode (support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314) or start the computer in safe mode (support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262), then shut it down, then reboot it.  

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova