Regular Contributor

I have a laptop, and the mouse froze today. I'm on a poetry board and will be on it all day tomorrow, and am in need! I don't understand what happened, but my hubby gave me an external mouse which I've never used before and it works, but slow and not used to it. Can you please tell me how to get my mouse, unfrozen??? LOL! Not funny to me with so much going on. HELP!!!!!

Frequent Contributor

Put your problem in a browser search bar and hit enter. An example might be - the brand of laptop, etc. like..... HP Laptop Mouse Frozen then hit the enter key. I have always found solutions to whatever is causing problems - by searching the internet. You can read the title of the links given to you, and decide which ones sound exactly like what is happening to you. Be as specific as you can - about your laptop - besides just the brand name.

Good luck!

Occasional Contributor

Respected Contributor

If you are talking about the touchpad, doing a Google search for HP laptop mouse frozen probably won't do any good. Have you tried rebooting the computer? Here is what I found:

"Okay be sure to perform a hard reset to release the stored energy from the notebook. Perform this by:

1. unplugging all accessories and the power cord.
2. Turn the notebook over and make sure that it is turned off.
3. Remove the battery
4. Hold down the power button for 10 seconds which releases the energy
5. Re-insert the battery, plug in the charger and turn it on."

If that doesn't work, post back.

Regular Contributor
On 6/16/2014 glb613 said:

If you are talking about the touchpad, doing a Google search for HP laptop mouse frozen probably won't do any good. Have you tried rebooting the computer? Here is what I found:

"Okay be sure to perform a hard reset to release the stored energy from the notebook. Perform this by:

1. unplugging all accessories and the power cord.
2. Turn the notebook over and make sure that it is turned off.
3. Remove the battery
4. Hold down the power button for 10 seconds which releases the energy
5. Re-insert the battery, plug in the charger and turn it on."

If that doesn't work, post back.

Hi, and I've tried everything! I talked to Microsoft and Toshiba, and sorry, but took my money and gave me nothing! It's still frozen. I don't think they know what they're talking about, because they just kept passing me on to another rep who knew nothing more. A simple frozen mouse shouldn't be such a big deal!!! Can you help anymore? Please write and let me know, and thanks!!!

Frequent Contributor

See? You need to try and search out help on your own and don't expect miracles from computer support people. I learned this years ago. Now, that I see you have a Toshiba - here is the search I tried. Toshiba Laptop Mousepad Frozen

You will get many suggestions (links). One of these surely will sound like your problem.
But, if you can't even search this way - here is one solution that might help. This is from the internet - not me. I will copy the instructions below. The website link I copied from is
http://www.fixya.com/support/t370455-frozen_mouse_touch_pad_laptop_computer

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1. Hit the Windows key, which will open your start menu.
2. Pressing the Windows key and Pause/break will take you to your system properties.
3. Minimizing and restoring screens hit Windows key and "D".
4. To get to Utility Manager, hit Windows key and "U". This will, among other things, allow you to choose to use only the keyboard or the mouse, so you can disconnect the mouse, among many other things.
5. Pressing Windows key and "F1" will take you to Help & Support.
6. Windows key plus "E" takes you to Windows Explorer".
7. Pressing "Cntrl, Alt, Delete" takes you to the task manager.

These keys should provide help in getting around in your system without a mouse.

To get to control panel, for example, press the Windows key to op[en the Start menu, and use the "up arrow" button to go to control panel.

Now that everything appears frozen, power your machine down. Remove the battery from the rear for a few minutes, even if you are operating on A/C plug in. Put the battery back in and power up. Did this make any difference?

You can always buy an inexpensive laptop mouse which works on USB. When you plug in the USB the mouse works independently of everything else. Then you could click the start up memory, help, and choose restore to an earlier time before this problem happened.

That usually will clear any problem.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good luck!

Regular Contributor
On 6/16/2014 echoscream said:

See? You need to try and search out help on your own and don't expect miracles from computer support people. I learned this years ago. Now, that I see you have a Toshiba - here is the search I tried. Toshiba Laptop Mousepad Frozen

You will get many suggestions (links). One of these surely will sound like your problem.
But, if you can't even search this way - here is one solution that might help. This is from the internet - not me. I will copy the instructions below. The website link I copied from is
http://www.fixya.com/support/t370455-frozen_mouse_touch_pad_laptop_computer

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1. Hit the Windows key, which will open your start menu.
2. Pressing the Windows key and Pause/break will take you to your system properties.
3. Minimizing and restoring screens hit Windows key and "D".
4. To get to Utility Manager, hit Windows key and "U". This will, among other things, allow you to choose to use only the keyboard or the mouse, so you can disconnect the mouse, among many other things.
5. Pressing Windows key and "F1" will take you to Help & Support.
6. Windows key plus "E" takes you to Windows Explorer".
7. Pressing "Cntrl, Alt, Delete" takes you to the task manager.

These keys should provide help in getting around in your system without a mouse.

To get to control panel, for example, press the Windows key to op[en the Start menu, and use the "up arrow" button to go to control panel.

Now that everything appears frozen, power your machine down. Remove the battery from the rear for a few minutes, even if you are operating on A/C plug in. Put the battery back in and power up. Did this make any difference?

You can always buy an inexpensive laptop mouse which works on USB. When you plug in the USB the mouse works independently of everything else. Then you could click the start up memory, help, and choose restore to an earlier time before this problem happened.

That usually will clear any problem.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good luck!

Hi, and it's too late for all of this, but will try tomorrow. I thank you so much, and will let you know what happens. Will copy and paste as usual to remember everything. Thanks again!!! I sent but nothing happened, so if you see two, think nothing about it, lol!

Respected Contributor

Connect a regular mouse, get into the device manager, double click on the touchpad and uninstall it. Reboot and see if it works.

Regular Contributor
On 6/17/2014 glb613 said:

Connect a regular mouse, get into the device manager, double click on the touchpad and uninstall it. Reboot and see if it works.

Hi, and I tried everything but to no avail. I finally called Toshiba and was on the phone forever. They had to change techs. One finally unfroze it, but then my font started to zoom in and out, from very small to very large, so another problem, jeez! I was on the phone again today for that, and they had to change techs again. No one seems to know what to do! After a few hours, he disabled Pinch-Zoom. So far all is okay, just hope nothing else shows up! Thanks so much for all of your help, and I thank the others too. We can only do much before we have to call.