Esteemed Contributor

I really do not like the latest version of Ghostery.  Anyone know of an equally effective blocking program?

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Marp wrote:

I really do not like the latest version of Ghostery.  Anyone know of an equally effective blocking program?

Hi, @Marp!  I was thinking the same thing today...  I'm very unhappy with the new changes to Ghostery and I think I'll drop it.  I already use AdBlock Plus and Better Privacy, but I think I'll try out a couple more to see how they work.   These 2 articles are good:

"Alternatives to Ghostery"

link:  http://alternativeto.net/software/ghostery/

and

The Best Browser Extensions that Protect Your Privacy

link:  http://lifehacker.com/the-best-browser-extensions-that-protect-your-privacy-479408034

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

@dooBdoo, thanks for the links I will read them a little later.  I have such confidence in your evaluations please let me know what you decide.

I wish there were a way to revert Ghostery to the previous version but they are not supporting earlier versions.

Esteemed Contributor

@dooBdoo, I emailed Ghostery support and said:

Please give users the option of using the old interface. I want to be able to click on the Ghostery icon, click on pause and be done.

I DO NOT like this new interface at all.

Ghostery Replied:

Hello!

Older versions of Ghostery can be found on AMO here:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ghostery/versions/

Please note that older versions will not be supported in the future.  

We are also including the pause button on the first panel again in our next release that should become available in a matter of days so that feature will be available in 6.1 exactly as it was in older versions of Ghostery.  

Please let me know if you have any questions and have a wonderful day!

Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@dooBdoo, I emailed Ghostery support and said:

Please give users the option of using the old interface. I want to be able to click on the Ghostery icon, click on pause and be done.

I DO NOT like this new interface at all.

Ghostery Replied:

Hello!

Older versions of Ghostery can be found on AMO here:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ghostery/versions/

Please note that older versions will not be supported in the future.  

We are also including the pause button on the first panel again in our next release that should become available in a matter of days so that feature will be available in 6.1 exactly as it was in older versions of Ghostery.  

Please let me know if you have any questions and have a wonderful day!

Notice how they always dumb down the newer versions.

Thanks for bringing up this topic

going to check out the links,

Esteemed Contributor

@jackthebear, IMO it isn't so much that they dumb down newer versions but that they take away more user control.

That is my biggest gripe about Windows too.  In attempting to make things easier and more automatic they actually end up making things worse because users can't make the programs/apps work the way the user wants/needs.

Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@jackthebear, IMO it isn't so much that they dumb down newer versions but that they take away more user control.

That is my biggest gripe about Windows too.  In attempting to make things easier and more automatic they actually end up making things worse because users can't make the programs/apps work the way the user wants/needs.

@Marp

totally agree with you, that's why I lasted less than a day with Win10, I couldn't tweak the appearance of the windows the way I wanted to (yeah i know) but still. 

Maybe the average user doesn't want to do that but they should have they option to do so.  Smiley

yes less user control rather than dumb down.  but its happening more and more.

I don't mind on my phone but on my laptop its a different thing.

Honored Contributor

@Marp

trying out disconnect

OK so far

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the kind words, @Marp!  I appreciate it.  My results will probably be different since I use an iMac.   I don't think I want to go back to the previous Ghostery, but I did give them feedback about my dissatisfaction when I disabled the add-on.   I'm going to try "Disconnect" and "uBlock Origin" (not at the same time, of course) to see what I think -- both seem to have good reviews in large numbers on the Firefox Add-ons site (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/) overall.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

@dooBdoo, @jackthebear

It has been a couple of weeks since this thread was started and I'm wondering how y'all are feeling about Disconnect and/or uBlock Origin or any others that have been tried.

I'm just getting around to trying Disconnect and I really appreciate how much faster pages load over Ghostery.

Any comments or observations/likes and dislikes about these programs?