Contributor

What do you think of the new system that just came out called Nougat? Get a phone with the new system on it or not much different than the last one marshmallow I believe but may be wrong. Opinions please. I am with a prepaid phone. Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@tinall

If its the newest version of Android, that is what I prefer. All the versions I have had, going back many years, I found were better than the previous "latest when it comes to Android.

I too have a prepaid with TracFone. If it is newer, I will take it, prefer it actually.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

They come out with new ones all the time. I only really pay attention when it's time for me to buy a new phone. They seem to go in alphabetical order so this is most likely the 14th version, since N is the 14th letter. And they are always named after a candy. 

I'll be looking for a new tracfone around Christmas time. Wonder if this will still be the newest then.

Honored Contributor

I'm pretty new to smartphones, but I know that it does get updates.  I just have it set to where I install them myself.  It says Android version 7.0.  Mine is a Samsung Galaxy S7.

I don't think you have to replace the phone to get the current OS, though.

Honored Contributor

Re: For android phones

[ Edited ]

No, you don't have to replace the phone.  If the update is available to you, it will automatically download on your phone if you have it set that way (that's the default setting).

I think a lot of people (like me!) changed that setting after KitKat rolled out.  That had a lot of issues that eventually worked out. But it's best if you download it yourself when it's a good time for you to fuss with it.  The last thing you want to do is wake up and find out you have an entirely new operating system and you're trying to figure out what's changed and what's not working.

KitKat was NOT fun for me.  I'm still traumatized.  LOL

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I just read the list of new stuff.  It sounds good.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I'm pretty new to smartphones, but I know that it does get updates.  I just have it set to where I install them myself.  It says Android version 7.0.  Mine is a Samsung Galaxy S7.

It depends on your wireless provider. It can also depend what smartphone you own. Most phones ( Samsung) will be updated for 18 to 24 months. It depends when you buy them. You should be able to get info on your WP site. Verizon has a list of devices and updates.

Respected Contributor

Re: For android phones

[ Edited ]

I just got the new LG Fiesta Tracfone from HSN and I love the new Nougat OS. My Tracfone LG L41C had Kit Kat on it so it is three steps up for me for OS. Very responsive and I love the clarity of the screen, the great camera (take the plastic off the camera lens as it is so small you wouldn't know to take it off) and the storage space. The SD card holder is on the left side of the phone. You have to use the Pin to open it that came with the phone.The SIM card is in the tray on the right of the drawer when you take it out. Be very careful or you will lose the SIM card.This carries data to your new phone. Don't pull the drawer completely out ( I saw a video that said to do that but it was too hard as the SIM card wanted to drop through the drawer) and then just pull out enough to add the micro SD card and push back in. You also need to use the Pin after putting back in per the booklet. The case with it is ok but I am going to buy a better case and put a protective screen on it.

Honored Contributor

nutmeg3 wrote:

chickenbutt wrote:

It depends on your wireless provider. It can also depend what smartphone you own. Most phones ( Samsung) will be updated for 18 to 24 months. It depends when you buy them. You should be able to get info on your WP site. Verizon has a list of devices and updates.

Thanks, Nutmeg.  You always have such great info.  I bought my phone directly through my carrier, Sprint, FWIW.  I've been with Sprint since they acquired Nextel.  Nextel was awesome.  Sprint is ok.   In this area, anyway.  My husband has ATT here and it's just awful in this market.

Anyway, for the amount you pay for a new phone I'd like to think that it will last me more than a couple of years.   I've had cell phones since 1994 (same phone# too!) but this is my first smart phone.

Since I'm starting to lose my mind, we thought it would be safer for me to have something more reliable than the craptacular not-smartphones you get these days.  That way I can feel safer and it's easier to drop a line to my husband when I leave, get there, leave there, and get back home.  I'm not at a 'wandering off' phase yet, but who knows if it comes to a point where it accelerates quickly.  Smiley Happy  So far my getting lost or confused usually lasts minutes and then the hard drive in my brain reloads.  hehe