Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl

Im sure either will work fine. I have both and never use Roku since getting the Fire TV Stick. 

Honored Contributor

@onlyshopsonline wrote:

We just got the Roku Ultra for our TV in our sunroom. I love it. Tons of free movies. Also, I watch a lot of things on YouTube, and you can’t get YouTube on an Amazon Firestick....feud between Amazon and Google. 

@onlyshopsonline

I watch YouTube on Fire TV Stick. 

Esteemed Contributor

I've had ROKU for about three years now - User friendly Don't know about the Fire Stick.

However, as @x Hedge mentioned, you need a good Router and internet provider.

If your router is too old you will find a lot of pausing, buffering, etc.

Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

I want to get Roku because it has the Hallmark channels.

You can look up what channels each has.

I was thinking the other day that I am glad so many are getting rid of these high price cable companies.

It will serve them right if they no longer have any customers, esp. because with their stupid bundles you have to pay for 100's of channels you don't want to get the several you do want! 

I didn't know this until a few days ago (still not really up on so much of this), that some what they call "smart tvs" have these streaming devices already built in. At least roku does. That is pretty neat. But I don't really need to get a new tv so I'll just get the roku device.

I'm glad you asked this question. I'll be interested to see what others say. There are so many here who really are knowledgable

about this stuff.

I think Sling tv is good, plus a roku device.

@on the bay

The Hallmark Everywhere channel on Roku only works if you have cable.  You have to log into your cable account to activate it.

I have Comcast, so when I first open the Hallmark Everywhere App, I have to log into my Comcast account to verify I am a subscriber.

I also have a subscription to Hallmark Movies Now, which is a streaming service for $60/year but only has old movies and series.  Nothing current.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35-

Thanks for telling me that.

If I got Sling tv and Roku would I be able to get the Hallmark channels?

Does sling tv replace cable?

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay  I don't know anything about Sling but reading about Hallmark channel you watch it on Sling TV for $5 more, it's an add on service, something called "Lifestyles Extra."

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

@onlyshopsonline wrote:

We just got the Roku Ultra for our TV in our sunroom. I love it. Tons of free movies. Also, I watch a lot of things on YouTube, and you can’t get YouTube on an Amazon Firestick....feud between Amazon and Google. 

@onlyshopsonline

@willdob3  Amazon and Google must have eventually come to an agreement.  For a long time, you couldn't get Youtube on a Firestick.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

@onlyshopsonline wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

@onlyshopsonline wrote:

@onlyshopsonline

@willdob3  Amazon and Google must have eventually come to an agreement.  For a long time, you couldn't get Youtube on a Firestick.

@onlyshopsonline

I don’t use YouTube very often but I don’t recall a single time when I wasn’t able to use it. I never read up on any problems since I never noticed any.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@on the bay

I love Hallmark, wouldn't want to be without it!

Cat Very HappyHeartCat Very Happy

FURBABIES ARE THE BREATH OF LIFE
Honored Contributor

@onlyshopsonline wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

@onlyshopsonline wrote:

@onlyshopsonline

That was very, very short-lived. Amazon tweaked their app so it accessed YouTube through a web browser instead of accessing it directly. YouTube gained nothing by that little game as Amazon just side-stepped their roadblock. I'm not sure Amazon didn't have the fix in place before the ban took effect. The first time you clicked the YouTube app after the fix you were asked which browser you wanted to use, and that was it. Everything's worked seamlessly since then. You wouldn't know anything had changed.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!