Valued Contributor

do you like it?? TIA

Valued Contributor

Hey sorry ....just saw other thread!

Contributor

Love, Love ,Love Roku....

I've had a Roku box for years now, and LOVE IT...[about 5 years now]

It's a wonderful product, esp. if you want to get rid of cable....

I have Netflix [and Hulu Plus optional]...

There's a lot of free channels....

If you love Music Pandora on Roku is the Best {no commercials] also FREE

Honored Contributor

no roku here......just blue ray dvd players that access the internet......it works well for us. we use it mostly to access netflix because we DO still have our cable.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Yes. We have had one Roku for about 3 years , then bought a second one a few years later, then a Smart TV , and of course antenna tv. We cut the cable with the first Roku and have not missed it or it's huge bills! Most of the shows come around to Netflix or Amazon after about a season and I like watching them in succession instead of at the station's times. I did that with The Closer, Switched at Birth and the last 3 seasons of Downton Abbey. I tried a hulu subscription but had a whole lot of buffering with it that I couldn't seem to fix so I canceled that . Also if I ever remember to buy the correct cable one can watch most current tv shows the day after with a Kindle on the hdtvs , kindle itself (small) , or the computer.

Honored Contributor

I just bought one for DH this past holiday and he seems to really enjoy it. He's still playing around with it but thinks it might be a good idea to get rid of cable in the not too distant future....we just have to figure out and see if we can get all of the channels that we like, etc. Plus we'll have to get more Rokus for other TVs in the house. In the long run it will save a lot since our cable bill is pretty high!

Honored Contributor
On 1/19/2014 WestieLove said:

Hey sorry ....just saw other thread!

Be sure to go for the Roku 3. I am new to the Roku thing, but I did research before I got my Roku 3. I still haven't really looked at all the 'channels' it has. But I don't think I could get rid of cable (sadly, since it costs about $140 a month now). I must have HBO and Showtime, in addition to quite a few of the cable channels. I don't think these kind of devices have but a very small percentage of the channels you get on cable.

New Contributor
I have 2 Rokus and love them. If you're into old B movies, they have a ton of channels that carry them. Spaghetti westerns, old horror and old sci-fi movies. You can also get Crackle which has a wide range of Sony movies free of charge. The downside is that you can't get local channels. You can get Fox shows I believe but you have to already have a cable service. Same with HBO, Epix and a few others. If you have an Amazon Prime account, you can get free movies through that. Hulu and Netflix are there but of course you have to pay for those too. I find the Roku a really good companion to cable but not a replacement.
Respected Contributor

I think a streaming device is good in combination with either an antenna or basic cable. I couldn't give up cable since I don't get a lot of local broadcasts within the 30 mile radius required for an antenna to work. I do watch sports and many of the games I want to watch are only on cable stations.

I have a smart Blu-ray player and Apple TV. I have registered my Blu-ray player with Amazon so if I do rent a movie or join Prime, I can stream through it. There are a lot of options for those who want to drop cable.

Valued Contributor

LOVE the Roku! Roku on one tv and the other tv is a smart tv. Booted cable to the curb and saving over $100 a month! You do have to have high speed internet to run the smart tv, Roku, latpop and tablet. Got a good deal on high speed internet. I will never go back to cable. Ever!