Honored Contributor

Do you use the Files on Apple devices?

Do you use the Files on Apple devices?  I use them to store and organize so much. I would say I'm a heavy user. Right now, I'm having trouble using it because of the most recent iPad OS 16.5 update. Trying to put PDFs into folders is done differently and it took me hours to finally get it to work the day before yesterday. Yesterday, when I tried, I couldn't get it to work again. Directions on Apple's website under the16.5 update page do not address this and the directions are woefullly inadequate. 

Ive always had to send articles I find online to the BOOKS app, wait for it to become a PDF and then send the item to the FILES. I've had to create a folder there, name it and them put the item inside the folder. This task has become awful since the update.

I also send items in the iOS photos to the FOLDERS. I'll send photos of receipts, copies of checks, etc. This has also changed since the update. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you use the Files on Apple devices?

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D, There have been a number of "how to" articles and videos detailing the changes to iPadOS 16.x Files app versions over the past few months since the new changes took place, including such things as converting images to PDF (changing file extensions).

Here are just 2 of them that seem to address some of your specific concerns:

"How Apple's Files app is getting better in iOS 16 & iPadOS 16"
(find on Appleinsider dot com)

"How to take advantage of the new Files app features in iPadOS 16"
(find on 9to5mac dot com)

I hope that helps, at least to get you started!

Take care.🌻

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dooBdoo @Thank you. I'll be reading the articles. Wish they would have left well enough alone. 

@dooBdoo Just read both articles and neither mention anything about the issues I'm having. It used to be easy to name a new folder and send whatever I want inside of the folder. Then the new folder would immediately appear in iCloud Drive and I could find it, no matter how I arranged Folders (size, name, date, type). Now, new folders and documents sit in Recents. This morning I found a folder that finally moved to iCloud Drive, despite trying to move it there repeatedly, last night.

I only use my iPad for the Files. It seems like Apple was very focused on making these changes for users that wanted a better connection between their iPad folders and iMac folders. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D wrote:

@dooBdoo @Thank you. I'll be reading the articles. Wish they would have left well enough alone. 

@dooBdoo Just read both articles and neither mention anything about the issues I'm having. It used to be easy to name a new folder and send whatever I want inside of the folder. Then the new folder would immediately appear in iCloud Drive and I could find it, no matter how I arranged Folders (size, name, date, type). Now, new folders and documents sit in Recents. This morning I found a folder that finally moved to iCloud Drive, despite trying to move it there repeatedly, last night.

I only use my iPad for the Files. It seems like Apple was very focused on making these changes for users that wanted a better connection between their iPad folders and iMac folders. 

@Mindy D

I stopped using the old Files app because I didn't like the way it functioned...  so I removed it and I use my old Mac desktop for various documents and files management. 

Since this new version has so many changes, I might give it a try to see what I think.

In the meantime, I found a couple of additional guides that might be helpful.

"How to use Files app on iPhone or iPad like a pro"
​(find on ​igeeksblog​ dot ​com​)​

"iPad Tips for Seniors How to Use The Files App"
by ​Rich Bowlin
Note:  I don't know why it's addressed to "seniors."  I just watched it, and it's a good, basic explanation for anyone.

Also... very important note... 

I'm not using hyperlinks to any of these because the article websites and YouTube videos tend to have monetized affiliations

with retail sites such as Amazon.

I don't want the posts, and even this thread,

to be removed due to hyperlinks as other posts and threads have been.   

A search for all the titles should find all of these with no problem.

Thanks for bringing up the topic of this Files app.😊

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo @Mindy D   I have an old ipad pro 9.7 and I'm trying to figure out how to backup one game that I play.  It's not in game center. 

I followed some online instructions about sending the game to the Cloud, but it didn't work.  I'll have to really take a deep dive and do a more thorough online search. 

The ipad is on it's way out and I will be purchasing a new one.  Not sure if I'll do an ipad Air or the latest iPad Pro version. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@Mindy D

I stopped using the old Files app because I didn't like the way it functioned...  so I removed it and I use my old Mac desktop for various documents and files management. 

Since this new version has so many changes, I might give it a try to see what I think.

In the meantime, I found a couple of additional guides that might be helpful.

"How to use Files app on iPhone or iPad like a pro"
​(find on ​igeeksblog​ dot ​com​)​

"iPad Tips for Seniors How to Use The Files App"
by ​Rich Bowlin
Note:  I don't know why it's addressed to "seniors."  I just watched it, and it's a good, basic explanation for anyone.

Also... very important note... 

I'm not using hyperlinks to any of these because the article websites and YouTube videos tend to have monetized affiliations

with retail sites such as Amazon.

I don't want the posts, and even this thread,

to be removed due to hyperlinks as other posts and threads have been.   

A search for all the titles should find all of these with no problem.

Thanks for bringing up the topic of this Files app.😊

@dooBdoo @I was excited to see the GEEKSBLOG article. When I tried to follow their instructions for filing an article their screen had different choices available in the drop-down menu they depicted than what my iPad's drop down menu has. Save to files is not available. I have to send anything to the Books App as a PDF first and then send that PDF to the Files App. Once it gets to the Files App then that's where the real trouble begins. It becomes a project to get the PDF inside a file. IMG_1578.jpeg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No Save to Files on iPad Pro

IMG_1581.png