Respected Contributor
On 8/25/2014 jaxs mom said:

To me it's a complete waste to have a docking station and an external keyboard when I can have a desktop.

But if you work and use your laptop in meetings a lot, you don't want a desktop. Or if you work from home part-time, you'd need a laptop.

Regular Contributor

If you are switching to a laptop what are you going to do with the Desktop? You could keep them both. Or plug the desktop keyboard into the laptop when you use it. That's what I do. I have a Desktop and my husband has a laptop so when we travel I take an extra keyboard with me to use on the laptop. And a lot of laptops do have the number keypad on the right side, at least the 15 inch and bigger ones do.

Oh, and I also plug in a MOUSE on the laptop. I might use the laptop keyboard but I always use a separate mouse. Everyone in the house will probably still want to use a mouse either usb or wireless.

Honored Contributor
On 8/25/2014 RedConvertibleGirl said:

To me it's a complete waste to have a docking station and an external keyboard when I can have a desktop.

But if you work and use your laptop in meetings a lot, you don't want a desktop. Or if you work from home part-time, you'd need a laptop.

Yes I know, my husband uses a laptop at work. But the OP said her family is thinking of switching to a laptop. So that to me denotes non business usage since it's the family computer.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Several years ago I switched to laptops only and I could not be happier. I do use one of mine as a 'desktop', however - using my old Dell monitor, a keyboard, some Bose computer speakers, and a mouse. I like using it that way on my desk upstairs.

I seem to get more years out of laptops than I ever got out of desktops. I don't know why. I am careful with my laptops that they are all on laptop stands (steel mesh) that allow for excellent air circulation so that they never heat up. That is one of the most important things about laptops that I learned when I was getting my first laptop.

I use mouses (Logitech Marble Mouse) with all of my laptops. The ONLY thing I don't like about laptops is the scrolly pad thing. I turn it off and always use a marble mouse.

Honored Contributor

It depends on what your needs are. If you need a computer to use for home and travel, it's a good compromise. Not everyone can afford a desktop and a tablet or a desktop and a laptop, not to mention updating and upgrading both options.

Super Contributor

Your question is about ease of use with the keys. I used a desktop at work for many years. I have a heavy touch and like pounding the keys. When I first tried my laptop at home, I didn't think I'd be able to adjust to the lighter touch and smaller keys, but it's no problem. You get used to it. I find little difference now. At the beginning, even using the scroll mouse on the laptop keyboard messed me up because I was used to using an external mouse with the desktop. No problem adjusting to that either, but you can always hook up an external mouse if you like. The placement of the keys is exactly the same as on my desktop. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Frequent Contributor
Question for chickenbutt what laptops have you bought that out lived your desktops? My issue is the other way around. I have a 17 inch HP laptop that is 3 years old and already having issues. I'm the only one using it and I'm Careful with all my things. As to the OP's question. After 3 years using the full laptop keyboard I'm still not happy with it and recently bought an all in one desktop and love the keyboard. I got used to the laptops keyboard but never liked it. Also for me it seems Each laptop I've had through the years ( HP, Dell, Asus and Acer) have only lasted 3 years on average WITH cooling stands and normal usage. The batteries tend to still get heated despite cooling stands and then issues arise. I'm back to a desktop now.
Respected Contributor

I can't use a laptop; the keys are far too small and close together (and I have fairly small hands). If hubby brings his laptop on vacation, I bring my keyboard and mouse. That works!

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Respected Contributor
On 8/26/2014 letsgoplaces said: Question for chickenbutt what laptops have you bought that out lived your desktops? My issue is the other way around. I have a 17 inch HP laptop that is 3 years old and already having issues. I'm the only one using it and I'm Careful with all my things. As to the OP's question. After 3 years using the full laptop keyboard I'm still not happy with it and recently bought an all in one desktop and love the keyboard. I got used to the laptops keyboard but never liked it. Also for me it seems Each laptop I've had through the years ( HP, Dell, Asus and Acer) have only lasted 3 years on average WITH cooling stands and normal usage. The batteries tend to still get heated despite cooling stands and then issues arise. I'm back to a desktop now.

I like to play games and it causes a notebook/laptop computer to overheat. I prefer a desktop for games, photo editing, video editing and just about everything else. I have a 27 inch iMac and the big screen is great. My computers are in my living room where I spend the majority of my time so being portable isn't an issue.

Honored Contributor

Desktops have many advantages if you don't need portability. You generally get better performance for less money with a desktop. They're far, far easier to upgrade/service. You have more options for customization. You have a pretty much limitless option in display screen sizes. If you always use a computer in one spot then a desktop is your best option.If you need portability then a laptop is your best option.

Lifespan is a misleading factor. When a computer dies from anything but a lightning strike/power surge there's typically just one component that's failed and if you replace that component the computer is right back to where it was before. Unless the whole computer has been fried, they're all pretty much immortal as long as you can replace whatever component fails, and pretty much everything is replaceable. They're pretty much like cars. If your car gets a flat tire or dead battery you don't go out and buy a new car, you replace the tire or battery. Now if the car is totaled in an accident you may have no choice but to replace the car. If a computer dies you don't have to replace the computer, just the component that's failed. If there's been a power surge/lightning strike that's fried the whole computer you may have to replace it. Computers may become obsolete, or not cost effective to repair, but no computer should ever have to be replaced because "it broke."

Computer makers know overheating is a factor with laptops and nearly all motherboards for laptops contain thermo-sensors that will shut down the computer before it can get warm enough to cause damage, so over-heating shouldn't be a significant issue for most users. If you abuse a laptop (cover the vents and run the CPU at 100% for minutes/hours at a time) then you could have issues, but even then most modern computers will shut down before any permanent damage is done. There's no real world reason why a laptop's lifespan should be any shorter than a desktop's. Servicing a laptop can be a pain resulting in higher service charges, but the failure rate should be pretty comparable.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!