Honored Contributor

Re: Dell, Dell, Dell, Dell...

On 5/25/2014 Lynnj said:
On 5/25/2014 Ford1224 said:

I don't think Dell is "dying" any more than the other PC computer companies (except Apple/Mac). The new iPads are taking over with people who were never good at running a computer. They'd much rather tap on a screen than type.

I read the article in Slate, and there's much more to the Dell story than "It's Dying," which headline was meant to capture the readers. Slate winds up reporting that Dell is merely in its "adolescent" stage, similar to what Microsoft has been going through. It's still a huge multi-billion dollar company that has now gone private, with Michael Dell still owning the controlling share.

Try writing a novel on an iPad, or creating a business spreadsheet on an iPad. I'll take a computer any day, and I still prefer Dell

Don't like them? Don't buy them.

An iPad, or any tablet for that matter, isn't technology to replace a computer. Your statement above shows you don't understand what the tablet technology purpose it. Read more about mobile technology, it's purpose and uses.

Then why all the talk about the reason computers are "dying" is because of the iPads and other tech products?

I also don't see them as the same, very definitely very different. But I am one (and people like me) who do not opine that it's iPads that are making computers extinct.

So it's not a matter of me "not understanding" at all. I totally understand. I happen to have no use for "mobile technology," and many uses for a computer. It's a lifestyle choice.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

I have a Dell 8.1 and it works great. I replaced a Dell with XP. I had that one for 8+ years. I would have kept it, but the XP issue squashed that. I have a kindle when I want portable or want to play games. I bought both Dell's on QVC and would again.

Respected Contributor

Ha Ha. I hate Dell day too and my husband always gives me a bad time about my watching QVC. Well yesterday I was with the boys and my mom at Toys R Us doing some birthday shopping for the 8 year old and my husband called me to ask if he could get a new Dell for work. He was watching QVC.......Got Him Smiley Happy

He ordered his Dell. He said it really was a great price and he is one that shops things to death.

Deb

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Valued Contributor

Huh?