Respected Contributor

Re: Data Saving on Tracfone?

@Nightowlz   If you have both wifi and mobile data on at the same time, most phones use mobile data. Do you ever have both on?

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

@Nightowlz   If you have both wifi and mobile data on at the same time, most phones use mobile data. Do you ever have both on?

@PickyPicky3 

Sometimes it's on because somehow it keeps getting turned on. I have to keep turning it off. I'm not turning it on.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nightowlz  Can't sleep anymore, so I'm up thinking about your problem. Wild guess:

On my Nokia android version 11, under Settings, Network & Internet, Mobile Network, MMS Messages -- That MMS switch says "Send & Receive (texts) when mobile data is off." That switch should be ON, otherwise your phone will turn on mobile data every time you send a text. And you send a lot. 

Check your phone to see if you have this.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PickyPicky3  . I had turned off data. Was using Tracfone at home, so figured I was covered as far as minutes. Was told a new update should be done, and maybe that used up the rest of my data as I think wifi was off.  Anyway, gonna buy a Data only card as you suggested for 1GB. And keep phone off most of time at home , and off on road. I can make calls and gmail, but texting not working. Even with wifi on. Hope that will tide me over til I can find a standard cell phone. Do I need data for texting? I rarely text, but once in a while someone requires this, like valet parking at medical apts. Thank you for your help,Susi.

addendum...I am able to text now. Plus call, and do email without data, with home wifi and no data. It is still a mystery to me, will see what happens when I go out later. Hopefully phone calls will work at least. Texting is not a necessity for me. Thanks again.

Respected Contributor

@Susic   Look at all the new neural connections we're creating dealing with this.

You should check your phone for the MMS switch I described above. It might have arrived in an update. 

Super Contributor

@PickyPicky3. I can't seem to get update to download without data . Need to get data card tomorrow.  I can talk and text out on errands, so ok,for now. Not sure what happened. What a pain this is..thanks for helping out !

Respected Contributor

@Susic    Use your home wifi. Also, you can buy the add-on data right on the phone or the Tracfone website.

Super Contributor

Thanks, will do that. Tried to buy Tracfone add on data at Walmart, was sold out. Appreciate your help!