Super Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

I would like to cut cable,but keep the internet. I am quite elderly and could use some advise how to do this.

I am going to comcast next Sat to discuss my bill which is getting too high. Need some advise on what devise to buy.  I have my big TV that is a 4K HD.  I also have 2 kindles ipads I watch movies.  I was told to get a firestick and have been looking on Amazon, but getting confused. 

Any advise?  I would appreciate some.  Thank you.

If you aren't computer or internet savvy, take someone with you to be your advocate.  I spent 2 days helping friends who were ripped off by AT&T.  In all fairness, all companies do the same thing unless they are challenged or the right questions are asked. 

You can cut the cord and get content online through streaming services.  Which one is right for you depends on your needs.  Often buying an antenna will be enough to get local channels, unless your live in a rural area, and a streaming service will provide the rest.  If you have a smart or internet ready TV, you don't need a device like Roku or a firestick.  I'd suggest you get either a family member or friend who is technology savvy to help you.  Buyer beware. 

Respected Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

I would like to cut cable,but keep the internet. I am quite elderly and could use some advise how to do this.

I am going to comcast next Sat to discuss my bill which is getting too high. Need some advise on what devise to buy.  I have my big TV that is a 4K HD.  I also have 2 kindles ipads I watch movies.  I was told to get a firestick and have been looking on Amazon, but getting confused. 

We also have Comcast.  Keep in mind if you're bundling right now, your internet and cable, and cutting cable and keeping Comcast internet.....your internet will probably go higher.  We've looked into this every which way but we must keep Comcast and by cutting cable and keeping internet, it would of been much higher.  We feel stuck.

Honored Contributor

In time everyone will be streaming as cable companies are looking to get out of the cable TV business. Frontier dropped the cable TV part of their business and others are looking to follow suit. The profit margin for cable TV isn't as high as it used to be. Subscribers are disappearing and with fewer subscribers, the infrastructure costs need to be absorbed by fewer and fewer people which causes the rates to rise and forces more people to give up cable. The cable TV industry is in a downward spiral right now with no good way to pull out of it. Comcast now gives subscribers a free streaming box. This indicates they're looking to bail on the cable TV side of the business soon. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Super Contributor

Re: Cutting Cable

[ Edited ]

@qvcaddition wrote:

Roku is inexpensive and easy as pie.  I'm another who uses YoutubeTV for 65 a month.  The picture quality and sound are the same as cable TV.  You can record endless programs in the library and skip commercials, just like cable.   You get a guide, just like cable.  You can probably pick up a lot of network channels with an antenna and if that's the case, Philo streaming service is good for 25 a month and has 60 channels.  The only reason you will be sorry you dropped cable is that you didn't do it sooner.  Save money.  No contracts, ever.  One other thing, with YoutubeTV you get 6 accounts and each can record their personal library with no limit to how much.

Honored Contributor

I switched to YouTube TV when Sling lost their contracts with a few channels for a while and it's very impressive. I like it. I got it for $55 a month for three months then it goes up to $65 afterward. It's well worth it. The guide knows me well enough and what I watch that it has whatever I'm planning to watch near the top of the list and an easy click to get to. It's very smart. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Caffeina 

@Caffeina wrote:

@qvcaddition 

If you tell them your bill is too high they're going to try to put you in a bundle of services. Don't let them do that. When the term ends your bill will probably be higher than it is now. If all you want is internet, just get internet. If you make any changes in person, be sure to leave with documention.

Thank you for answering.  I was able to deal with them for years, but they are getting out of hand.  

I am bringing my son with me. He has worked with them since he was18 and they were another company and get getting bigger and bigger. He is retiring next year at 65.

The problem with him is he doesn't seem to help me because he works on the computer from home and is in upper mgr.

He gets it free and doesn't live at home naturally. Says he doesn't know what I can  do, that is why I am on the blog here and like your advise and others. 

The reason I'm bringing him is I can't hear well and they talk fast and I need him to explain what they are saying so I don't do what you said they could do.  

Yes, I stream movies on my kindles etc. so I do need Internet, which is 100.00 on the plan I'm on.  When cable is getting to be more than my food budget that is ridiculous.

Thank you again and I will be very careful. It's too bad my son can seem to do anything working for them.

Esteemed Contributor

@PickyPicky3 

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

@qvcaddition   The most important thing is to remember there's no rush. This week you should find out what internet sources are available. It may be just Comcast, or there may be more. Your library should be able to help you.

Then you should explore what is available with an antenna. You might be surprised, depending upon where you live.

Assuming your TV is a smart TV, you probably already know what it can do for you just using the internet. If not, check it out this week.

Once you're up to speed with what you've got for free, you'll know what you're missing and can start to explore services. 

No rush. It's kind of like shopping for health insurance.

Thank you for answering.  I explained to the other poster that my son is coming with me, works for them, but doesn't seem to know what to do.

I am having him come with me to understand what they will be saying to me and maybe he can ask and explain what I want and that is internet and to be able to stream and not have all the other stuff.

The only reason need it done now is because they are raising my bill with the Dec. 8 bill.  As I told the other poster, when your cable goes higher than your food bill, that is ridiculous.

I started with cable when I only paid 35.00 a month many years ago.

At my age, I don't need all the channels in their bundles, and all the other stuff.  I pay for a sports and don't watch sports and it's 30+ dollars.

So, I hope my son can help me to get the bill either down or a plan with just a few channels that I watch.  Even with the plan I have, my channels are limited and I don't need them.

I can't believe my son can't help me to figure how to just stream.  He is in upper mgr. Started with this company at age 18 comcast before they were big or even comcast. I was paying 35.00 a month.  He is retiring next year at 65.  That is how long he has been with them. Of course he gets everything free, but I don't live with him.  I have handled it all on my own for years, but now they talk fast, I have trouble hearing, so I want him there to explain, and maybe he will learn something. 

I won't agree to anything, until I understand what is going on.  I do know, I will not pay anymore. 

Thank you again and I will be very careful, but I have to decide before next bill.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jaspertimes

With utube TV, do you keep the internet from comcast or just quit comcast altogether?

Super Contributor

Re: Cutting Cable

[ Edited ]

@qvcaddition wrote:

@Jaspertimes

With utube TV, do you keep the internet from comcast or just quit comcast altogether?

you have to have an internet connection.  Mine is ATT fiber.  But it can be from any provider in your area.

Respected Contributor

Good luck @qvcaddition .  We'll all be sitting there with you in spirit.