Super Contributor

Is it a good idea to delete cookies and site data and clear cache data when you close your browser ?

Respected Contributor

@89135 I occassionally go to settings and remove cookies.

Esteemed Contributor

Every day, without fail.  Do it.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I run CCleaner every three days. That clears history/cookies.

Super Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia...delete all?  cookies,site data and clear cache ?  thx

Valued Contributor

Re: Cookies and Site Data

[ Edited ]

On my windows based laptop I have it set to delete cookies and history at each close of the browser. I use incognito windows unless for some reason I can't. When I am forced out of incognito, I go in manually and delete cookies and history.

On my ipad I go into settings each time I leave the browser and delete history and cookies. ETA I also do the same deletion process on my iphone, although I seldom use the phone for the internet.

Honored Contributor

@89135 wrote:

@Sweetbay magnolia...delete all?  cookies,site data and clear cache ?  thx

I hope you don't mind my responding, @89135... 

I delete it all, at least once a day on every device (Mac, iPad, iPhone).   

That data is only intended to be temporary storage.

Keeping it around and allowing it to build up can eventually cause problems, so it's "good housekeeping" to clear it all out frequently.

Take care, everyone.😊

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Super Contributor

Re: Cookies and Site Data

[ Edited ]

@dooBdooDon't mind at all...thanks so much !..I had a problem with a website not loading so I did eventually go in and deleted it all (cookies, site data and history) and now no problem with website so evidently that was the cause..I'm just so illiterate with computers that sometimes I get afraid to delete anything...but I got brave this time.. lol

Honored Contributor

@89135"I get afraid to delete anything...but I got brave this time.. lol"

FWIW..........

If you have not already done so, you can go into your browser(s) Preferences/Settings & select the "Auto Refill" option.  This will automatically reset your username(s), passwords, etc.

Or use a password manager.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@89135 wrote:

@dooBdooDon't mind at all...thanks so much !..I had a problem with a website not loading so I did eventually go in and deleted it all (cookies, site data and history) and now no problem with website so evidently that was the cause..I'm just so illiterate with computers that sometimes I get afraid to delete anything...but I got brave this time.. lol

You're welcome, @89135! 😊  

Don't be afraid of removing all of the cookies and cache completely -- it's only intended for  temporary  short-term  storage.  
As you discovered, in this case deleting it all cleared up your problems -- 
doing so routinely is a preventative step to avoid new glitches.  
Your avatar kitty is adorable!😻😻😻

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova