Honored Contributor

Re: Computer scammer phone call

Has anyone been given the phone number of an exterminating business in North Dakota as the main office of the business Microsoft was calling from? If you think YOU were annoyed, you should have hears the secretary in the exterminating business!
Honored Contributor

It would be kind of fun to fill a computer with the worse malware and viruses known to mankind and let them connect their computers to it and infect their computers like they're trying to infect yours. That could put an end to the calls pretty quickly.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Super Contributor

On 8/22/2014 gardenman said:

It would be kind of fun to fill a computer with the worse malware and viruses known to mankind and let them connect their computers to it and infect their computers like they're trying to infect yours. That could put an end to the calls pretty quickly.

I think that might fall under hacking...illegal. Still, you were just kidding I know. I almost got ripped off on buying a chihuahua with one of those prepaid cards...did research just in time. A very common scam also, along with the Nigerian lottery stuff.
Honored Contributor

That's a good one. Someone should actually do this. Wonder what would happen if they called another scammer?

Honored Contributor

The advice from the security officers at the hospitals I work with:

If you don't recognize the Caller ID or if it's from a company that doesn't make "cold calls" (regarding the longstanding computer support scam, that would be Microsoft, Apple, etc.):

Rule 1: Don't answer, and definitely don't call back.

Rule 2: Don't answer, and definitely don't call back.

Rule 3: Don't answer, and definitely don't call back.

(I realize this can't help in the OP's case of a child answering.)

If you'd like to take steps to stop these calls from getting through, take a look at Nomorobo. It's safe, it's free, and it blocks many unwanted calls. You can go to the website, plug in your info where it says "Get Started Now," and see if you can sign up.

It's not available everywhere yet, but if it's not offered in your area or by your provider you'll see a number to call and ask them to add the service.

The more people who ask for it, the more widely it will be available.

(To learn even more about the company, watch the video on their home page and also scroll down the home page of the site and click on the many articles about this service.)

Link goes to: https://www.nomorobo.com/

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

On 8/23/2014 Nikalette said:

I think that might fall under hacking...illegal. Still, you were just kidding I know. I almost got ripped off on buying a chihuahua with one of those prepaid cards...did research just in time. A very common scam also, along with the Nigerian lottery stuff.

I don't really think it would be illegal since they'd call me and tell me I had a problem and that they wanted to take control of my computer. I'd just let them do it. It wouldn't necessarily be my fault that their defenses weren't strong enough and my computer was horribly infected. (Note to self: Come back and delete these posts if I ever decide to go through with this so there's no evidence this was preconceived.)

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Super Contributor

On 8/23/2014 dooBdoo said:

The advice from the security officers at the hospitals I work with:

If you don't recognize the Caller ID or if it's from a company that doesn't make "cold calls" (regarding the longstanding computer support scam, that would be Microsoft, Apple, etc.):

Rule 1: Don't answer, and definitely don't call back.

Rule 2: Don't answer, and definitely don't call back.

Rule 3: Don't answer, and definitely don't call back.

(I realize this can't help in the OP's case of a child answering.)

If you'd like to take steps to stop these calls from getting through, take a look at Nomorobo. It's safe, it's free, and it blocks many unwanted calls. You can go to the website, plug in your info where it says "Get Started Now," and see if you can sign up.

It's not available everywhere yet, but if it's not offered in your area or by your provider you'll see a number to call and ask them to add the service.

The more people who ask for it, the more widely it will be available.

(To learn even more about the company, watch the video on their home page and also scroll down the home page of the site and click on the many articles about this service.)

Link goes to: https://www.nomorobo.com/

I've been using Nomorobo for about a year and it has really cut down on the robo calls. I got it when it first became available in the US. The service has been available in Canada for several years. Because these guys change telephone numbers like I change my undies they will sometimes still get through. I then just go to the nomorobo website and enter their number. In a day or two no more calls from that number! I am on the Do Not Call Registry but it doesn't help with these clowns.

Esteemed Contributor

I got this phone call as well.. I am too smart for them. I hung up on him before he could get out what he wanted to say.

Respected Contributor

I was at a neighbor's house last week when someone called her about reducing their credit card interest rates (a call we feet twice a week at least and just hang up). She flew into a strange accent and kept these people on the line for at least ten minutes. Her schtick was, "I've always wanted a credit card. You can get me credit card? What kind, Visa, Master Card or that Discovery thing? It went on and on. Ended up with her squealing into the phone saying, "Wait, don't hang up. You said you could get me credit card". It was hysterical from my end. I suspect she won't get that call again. But they call from everywhere = not just one phone. What a pain this is!!

Valued Contributor

I haven't gotten this particular call but I don't answer any calls that call from numbers I don't recognize. Having said that, I am pretty sick and tired of people calling and calling and calling and never giving up.

A few months ago someone called at 8:45 am and I didn't answer. They called again around noon, same number, again I didn't answer. I left the house and when I returned later in the afternoon I found they had left a very lengthy message on my answering machine and that's when it occurred to me, they would rather leave a message than have someone answer because when someone answers they usually just hang up. It's their new way of getting your attention.

Anywhoo, I got plenty disgusted and bought the CPR call blocker V202 from Amazon and hubby installed it this afternoon. Now when someone calls I can just block their number and they'll never get through again, not to me and not to my machine. Best $80 I will ever spend.

Maria