Respected Contributor

Re: Computer Anti Virus Software!

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@kare29

You can not use an anti-virus program more than two years even with updates. I change programs every year. 

I'd like to see your source for this recommendation.  I don't believe it's true. 

Honored Contributor

I just use Windows Defender and it's fine. Granted, I don't wander around the dark web or do stupid stuff with my PC. If you tend to do that, then nothing will offer full protection. As long as you follow reasonably safe computing practices any of the mainstream software should give you adequate protection.

I gave up on McAfee years ago when their software prevented me from going online with my computer until I went online with my computer to verify my identity. They didn't seem to see how that was a problem. After a long chat with several tech support people who kept insisting I could solve the problem by simply going online and verifying who I was, even though they were preventing me from going online, I gave up and deleted the software and never looked back.

The traditional "viruses" really aren't much of an issue these days as the operating systems are quite safe with very few holes left to exploit. Most users' issues come from malware that they inadvertently, or in some cases intentionally, download. They haven't made software yet that overcomes really stupid users who ignore the warnings and do stuff they shouldn't. Even the DNC hack of a few years back came about because those using the computers ignored the warnings that were constantly popping up on their screens. When the computer says "Don't do that!" you shouldn't do that.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Frequent Contributor

I have has this particular McAfee installed since Sep 2018.  Prior to that I had a four year subscription that came with my Dell laptop that I purchased from QVC in Aug of 2014.

I don't understand where @Nuttmeg is getting this info either. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kare29 wrote:

I have has this particular McAfee installed since Sep 2018.  Prior to that I had a four year subscription that came with my Dell laptop that I purchased from QVC in Aug of 2014.

I don't understand where @Nuttmeg is getting this info either. 

@kare29

I have used a Comcast version of Norton 360 for 13 years. The core program was upgraded many times. 

I read yeats ago that 2 years was a recommended amount of time to change this software. 

I have used free AVG on a few computers. I had to upgrade the software once a year.

I brought Norton 360 in January with a deal from 

Comcast. I will find a new program when I pay again. 

Esteemed Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@kare29

You can not use an anti-virus program more than two years even with updates. I change programs every year. 

I'd like to see your source for this recommendation.  I don't believe it's true. 

@glb613 

Many cable, internet, and wireless customers get their anti-:virus software from a company wilh service.

I read this information sometime ago on a security site where people cleaned up malware on a persons computer.  These sites are gone. 

You will not see a source. When a person gets malware in a computer they pay a tech person for a cleanup. 

Frequent Contributor

Thanks, I will keep an eye on it.  I just checked the program app/installation date on my PC and it was Feb 2021.  I can only assume that this is the updated program date.  Everything appears to be performing well.

Honored Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN 

Here's another "NO" for McAfee...I found it to be the most intrusive security system difficult to maneuver 

around the Internet with it.....  I have Webroot which came with my Dell laptop its works great!  Ive also used Malwarebytes and that works fine too....  

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”