Trusted Contributor

I had to buy a new computer because of Windows 7 not being updated anymore and my computer was getting old.  So, here I sit with Windows 10 and I tried to load my Hoyle Card games, Word Games, etc., and they wouldn't load.  We had the discs from two previous computers so I think they were pretty old versions.  What version of game discs would load on my Windows 10?  Vista, XP, 2015 version,----2011 version, or none?

Thank you in advance for any insight you could share with me.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Compatibility of Windows 10

[ Edited ]

@wismiss wrote:

I had to buy a new computer because of Windows 7 not being updated anymore and my computer was getting old.  So, here I sit with Windows 10 and I tried to load my Hoyle Card games, Word Games, etc., and they wouldn't load.  We had the discs from two previous computers so I think they were pretty old versions.  What version of game discs would load on my Windows 10?  Vista, XP, 2015 version,----2011 version, or none?

JMO. I would go to Hoyle's site and buy some new games for your fancy Windows 10 machine. 

Please recycle your old dics. 

Valued Contributor

Most of your older program disks will not work with Windows 10. You may be able to go to the company the disks are from and find updates, but only a few do that. They usually want you to buy new ones.

Check your printer, too. It may have to be updated, or like mine when I bought a Windows 10 machine, my old printer would not work with it. The company that made the printer did not do an update, so a new printer was also needed. 

Your best bet is buying new game disks, or now they don't even sell you the disk. You pay for the program and then download it to your computer. Keep in mind though if you don't get the disk, if a hard drive problem happens,your program may be gone. Keep your authorization codes somewhere you can find them, just in case you need to download again.

Just some of the "surprises" I found as I worked at learning a new operating system.

Honored Contributor

Are you getting any kind of error message when you try to load it? I've been poking around online and it seems like most versions work with everything from Vista through Windows 10. It's possible your discs are now defective (CD's sadly don't last forever) or there could be an issue with the CD drive. Lots of sites offer a free download of the Hoyle card games, but you'll want to be very careful of which site you choose if you choose to download it. It's pretty easy to get fooled into downloading and installing something you don't want instead of what you do want. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wismiss wrote:

There are quite a few how to videos to try on YouTube. Try some before you spend more money. 

@wismiss Here’s a how to. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exitjpf7I2s

Trusted Contributor

Too late now, and I do't know how old your computer was, but Windows10 is still available to download for free for a little bit longer. They knew they were going to discontinue servicing Win 7, and not everyone can buy a new computer, so they left Win 10 for download.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I lost favorite games when I switched and have found the Microsoft shop to be really bad.  The iPad has been much better.

Honored Contributor

here's a guy on YouTube who has the programs for the old games (Win7 and prior) and that's where I got my Solitaire (it has a whole list of games but I just install this one).

It's prudent to keep a copy of the download on your computer because every time Win10 does one of the big updates it will kill it.  But every time I've been able to re-install it from the download I have saved.    He had to re-write it a couple of times, actually, as one of the very early Win10 updates killed the first one he fixed.    Even now I can still get the second one to work.

I really detest Win10.  Not just for this but it kills a lot of stuff that should still be installable and usable to the computers.  I can see if they are killing programs that would do harm but none of the ones I've dealt with are anywhere near that, including the old games.

HTH   Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

here's a guy on YouTube who has the programs for the old games (Win7 and prior) and that's where I got my Solitaire (it has a whole list of games but I just install this one).

It's prudent to keep a copy of the download on your computer because every time Win10 does one of the big updates it will kill it.  But every time I've been able to re-install it from the download I have saved.    He had to re-write it a couple of times, actually, as one of the very early Win10 updates killed the first one he fixed.    Even now I can still get the second one to work.

I really detest Win10.  Not just for this but it kills a lot of stuff that should still be installable and usable to the computers.  I can see if they are killing programs that would do harm but none of the ones I've dealt with are anywhere near that, including the old games.

HTH   Smiley Happy

You can't blame Window 10 alone.  The game makers aren't providing updates for their games so the run on the operating system. 

Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

HTH   Smiley Happy

You can't blame Window 10 alone.  The game makers aren't providing updates for their games so the run on the operating system. 

Agreed. Microsoft gives software makers months of advance notice of changes they're making that could affect compatibility. Software providers typically get first access to the beta versions of new versions of Windows to test their software. The coding changes that need to be done are typically fairly small and easily accomplished. It's not Microsoft's fault that the providers don't make the changes. It's easy to blame Microsoft, but operating systems evolve and need to evolve to make them more secure, function better, and to add new features.

Windows 95 was the first "modern" Windows operating system and was all of 19 Mbs. Windows 10 is more like 19 Gbs or one thousand times the size. There are going to be compatibility issues when the complexity of the software increases by that large of an amount. Many software developers adapt their software when operating systems change. Some don't. Microsoft goes out of their way to help software developers, but some software firms just don't care. 

Why does Microsoft change operating systems? New hardware often requires new software. You can now buy a CPU with 64 separate cores (the AMD Threadripper 3990X). When Windows 95 came out single-core processors were the norm. Windows 95 did not have the ability to take advantage of a processor with 64 cores. Windows 10 does have the ability to optimize the use of multi-core processors. New processors tend to have new instruction sets (code written into the processor) that older operating systems can't use. If you want to use those new instructions loaded onto the CPU you need a modern operating system.

It's easy to blame big old Microsoft, but this isn't a Microsoft issue. They go out of their way to help software creators keep their software up to date. If the software developers don't care, there's not a lot Microsoft can do about it.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!