Honored Contributor

Re: Clearing Cookies

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

@dooBdoo

I am also on a Mac but use FF as my main browser.  In it's Preferences>Privacy>History>Exceptions or Show Cookies.  Is what I use to "control" cookies.

I prefer Firefox on my Mac, too.   (I prefer Safari on my iPad/iPhone).   For Firefox, I have the Privacy Preferences set to "Clear history when Firefox closes," and everything is checked in the settings except "Site Preferences."   That way, I can easily just quit Firefox and know it will do all the deleting for me.   (We can view the saved login info in Firefox by looking at Preferences/Security/Saved Logins, by the way.)   I like to delete all cache/cookies/website data (no exceptions) at least once a day...  it really does help avoid a lot of odd glitches.   Old cookies, in particular, can cause all sorts of problems.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the help everybody.   I got the iPad cleared with @KLm 's suggestion I think.   The Samsung was a little more gnarly but I found this screen:

Screenshot_20170222-212416.png

and trustingly clicked on it.   The part that says "device security"  references clearing caches.   Anyway it seems to cleared the problem I was having and I'm now good to go. 

Looks like I need to insert the SD card I've got as I'm about out of memory. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@dooBdoo

I am also on a Mac but use FF as my main browser.  In it's Preferences>Privacy>History>Exceptions or Show Cookies.  Is what I use to "control" cookies.

I prefer Firefox on my Mac, too.   (I prefer Safari on my iPad/iPhone).   For Firefox, I have the Privacy Preferences set to "Clear history when Firefox closes," and everything is checked in the settings except "Site Preferences."   That way, I can easily just quit Firefox and know it will do all the deleting for me.   (We can view the saved login info in Firefox by looking at Preferences/Security/Saved Logins, by the way.)   I like to delete all cache/cookies/website data (no exceptions) at least once a day...  it really does help avoid a lot of odd glitches.   Old cookies, in particular, can cause all sorts of problems.

I've always been leery of cookies ( being told by every tech person I know that they are harmless).  I clear my cache every time I close safari. I'm glad to read your comment about cookies and have my point of view validated. 🌸 Thanks for the info, 

Honored Contributor

Re: Clearing Cookies

[ Edited ]

@KLm,  You're welcome.   Indeed, cookies can cause problems.  One common error message we see reported on this forum is a good example:

"Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
Size of a request header field exceeds server limit.

Cookie

/n"

This particular error indicates we have one or more "corrupt cookies" on the device and we need to delete the browser cookies/cache/data, close the browser, and then relaunch it.   (In rare cases, if clearing browser cookies doesn't work, we might have "supercookies" on the device -- usually Adobe Flash cookies -- needing removal.)   It's so easy to clear these things on a regular basis, and this "housekeeping" can prevent a lot of odd internet site behavior.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo  That's exactly what I got all yesterday evening.   Clicking on that screen I printed fixed the problem,  however.   Appreciate your help as usual. 

👍

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Can someone please tell me under what function on "settings" on a tablet does one find the option to erase cookies?  I have both an iPad2 and a SamsungS2 that need this and I can't find a place to do it on either.  I realize they probably have some techie language they use.

I find the best program for clearing out cookies and internet history is CCleaner.  I have it set (by unchecking) to only clear out data from Firefox and Safari.  You have the option to include other programs but I decided I didn't want them to be included.

In the options category, you have the ability to exclude cookies if you want.  I selected several sites so I don't have to reenter my saved password for certain sites.  I don't clear out the history or cookies daily, I do it regularly as recommended. 

It's also a good program for uninstalling programs and removing programs from the startup group.  There is an option to erase free space.  I've never used that feature so I can't comment on it.