Respected Contributor

how to recover my @me.com e-mail account

I've been looking for over a hour and can't find the information I need.  I find how to change my Apple ID but, that's isn't what I want.  I have an @me.com e-mail account and have forgoten the password.  I want to get to the settings where I can change the password.  Does anyone know how to find this? 

Honored Contributor

Re: how to recover my @me.com e-mail account

I'm not sure you can anymore. It looks like they disabled that option a few years ago and now your AppleID password is the only password. The second to last response in this thread sort of explains it, but I can't find anything better.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4335276?start=0&tstart=0

That sounds weird to me, but I guess you can try it. I don't know how the email would know that it needs to accept a new Apple ID password and not your old email password, but maybe changing the Apple ID password triggers that.

You may have to call Apple Support on this one. Good luck! Let us know what you find out.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was never able to change only the password for my @me.com account so, I had to change the password for my Apple ID.  My Apple ID password is now the password for my mail.  For all I know, maybe it's always been that way.  It's not a problem but, you should be able to change password separately for each Apple account you have.  Oh well, at least now I can sign into my account from other devices or away from my main computer. 

This has been the most frustrating day in my tech world.  I've been on the phone with Comcast tech support multiple times over 3 days trying to get my e-mail accounts fixed.  I had e-mails being blocked due to spam filters being set (not by me) I couldn't change.  One spam filter was at the server level which you can't change.  Only by asking or maybe demanding I speak to a supervisor did I finally get the problem fixed.  Well, I think it's fixed.  I'm considering changing my default or main e-mail address to my Apple account because of the blocks. 

One of the questons I was asked was how many e-mails were blocked?  How would I know if they never reach my inbox.  Geesh! 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]
Honored Contributor

@glb613, It sounds like you resolved this, but just as a reminder the Keychain Access utility application holds a wealth of login data.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

@skuggles wrote:

@glb613 Have you seen this? https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3693720?start=0&tstart=0

@I did that and it changed my Apple ID password.  Apparently, your @me.com password is the same as the one used for your Apple ID. 

Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@glb613, It sounds like you resolved this, but just as a reminder the Keychain Access utility application holds a wealth of login data.

@I have no idea what that is or how to access it.  I set up my @me.com account in 2013 and I don't know if at that time I had a separate password or not.  It wasn't written down anywhere so maybe it did. 

Honored Contributor

glb613 wrote:

dooBdoo wrote:

I have no idea what that is or how to access it.  I set up my @me.com account in 2013 and I don't know if at that time I had a separate password or not.  It wasn't written down anywhere so maybe it did. 

If you look in Finder, it's in Applications, in the Utilities folder.    Just take a look when you have some time to

browse.   It can be helpful in some cases.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@I have no idea what that is or how to access it.  I set up my @me.com account in 2013 and I don't know if at that time I had a separate password or not.  It wasn't written down anywhere so maybe it did. 

If you look in Finder, it's in Applications, in the Utilities folder.    Just take a look when you have some time to

browse.   It can be helpful in some cases.

I looked but there weren't any passwords listed.  I'm not sure how this would help. 

Honored Contributor

https://appleid.apple.com/#!&page=signin

Click the link forgot your id or password. 

I don't know how long it's been since you logged into your me.com account or if you already have security questions or a recovery email set up but it's worked for my me.com account recently. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval