Esteemed Contributor

i was gifted a new Chromebook and started the set up.  I chose my correct network then entered my correct password and received a message saying "network connection error failed to connect to network bad password."  The network and password are both correct but will not connect when I enter my password.  I went ahead and changed my password in desperation but that didn't help either.  All my other devices work fine with these settings.  Any suggestion on how to fix this or should I just return it?

Trusted Contributor

strange.. maybe unplug the router, and plug it back in, than start all over again??

Honored Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for your replies.  Nothing worked.  We have a small shop in town that fixes computers and also offers help.  Whenever I have gone there they never charge for quick fixes or answering questions.  Anyway, seems the password needed was on my router not my regular password.  I would never have thought that.  Who knew!  

Respected Contributor

@Biftu wrote:

Thanks for your replies.  Nothing worked.  We have a small shop in town that fixes computers and also offers help.  Whenever I have gone there they never charge for quick fixes or answering questions.  Anyway, seems the password needed was on my router not my regular password.  I would never have thought that.  Who knew!  

I'm glad you got it fixed.  All routers have a factory set user name and password.  Several years ago, the manufactorers started putting those names/passwords on the router itself.