Respected Contributor

Re: Changing E-Mail address/ISP Change

On 8/14/2014 Allegheny said:

Hi John,

Thanks for responding. I guess I am concerned as it is something I only did many years back. I think I will just change all emails to gmail I have all log in and password data saved in two places.

I see you remember my previous thread about our internet speed. We too started with dial up, then when we went Windstream our speed was initially 1.5 and then 3. Then about two years back we were able to pay extra and get 6 and now supposedly we are at 10. My problem wasn't so much the speed, but how the speed tanked on my laptop when husband used his laptop in another room.

However, hopefully after we get connected to Comcast this won't be an issue. I couldn't believe it when the rep told me the speed would be 100mbps. Much more then either of will ever need. Don't think my old brain & eyes will be able to keep up.

You will never get internet speed that fast from Comcast. The rep doesn't know what he/she is talking about.

Honored Contributor

On 8/14/2014 glb613 said:

Hi John,

Thanks for responding. I guess I am concerned as it is something I only did many years back. I think I will just change all emails to gmail I have all log in and password data saved in two places.

I see you remember my previous thread about our internet speed. We too started with dial up, then when we went Windstream our speed was initially 1.5 and then 3. Then about two years back we were able to pay extra and get 6 and now supposedly we are at 10. My problem wasn't so much the speed, but how the speed tanked on my laptop when husband used his laptop in another room.

However, hopefully after we get connected to Comcast this won't be an issue. I couldn't believe it when the rep told me the speed would be 100mbps. Much more then either of will ever need. Don't think my old brain & eyes will be able to keep up.

You will never get internet speed that fast from Comcast. The rep doesn't know what he/she is talking about.

Xfinity/Comcast now offers what they call Extreme 105, claiming download speeds up to 105 Mbps and Extreme 505, claiming speeds up to 505 Mbps. I use their Blast, and they usually met or exceeded the advertised "up to 50 Mbps" and they recently upgraded it to "up to 105 Mbps."

I think they've recently been in the process of changing packages and speeds offered, so it probably varies depending upon your locale.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

On 8/14/2014 dooBdoo said:

Hi John,

Xfinity/Comcast now offers what they call Extreme 105, claiming download speeds up to 105 Mbps and Extreme 505, claiming speeds up to 505 Mbps. I use their Blast, and they usually met or exceeded the advertised "up to 50 Mbps" and they recently upgraded it to "up to 105 Mbps."

I think they've recently been in the process of changing packages and speeds offered, so it probably varies depending upon your locale.

I have Blast service, and it is has been 105/10 since April. I am getting 121/11 with a new Zoom cable modem, that bonds in 8 /4 channels. The Blast speed does depend which market the customers are in, and the competition.

Respected Contributor

Have you checked your speed?

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure who you're asking, but my answer is "yes."Smile

They don't offer the Blast 105 speed in my locale yet, but I do have the "up to 50" speeds. I regularly use Speedtest.net on my iMac and their mobile app on my iPad and iPhone. Just checking right now . . .

Ping 32 ms, Download speed 58.32 Mbps, Upload 1.75 Mbps

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

I tested the speed at http://speedtest.comcast.net/. The speed is 121/11 from a server in DE with a ping of 14. Verizon FIOS has helped moved the speeds higher. Comcast has a new thing called X1 cloud set top box. http://www.comcast.com/x1clouduser.

This is the speed connected to the web with a cable. I get about 23/11 on a laptop downstairs using WIFI. The deal, the speed could not be any better.

Respected Contributor

I tested mine and I get 28 download, 5 upload with a 24 ping. They don't offer the Blast 105 speed in my location either.