Contributor
I had a new hard drive installed in my HP Pavilion. Had it 4 years, it was running slow and I had that dreaded blue circle all the time. My problem is I cannot get into the internet. It says I am connected but when I try I get " this page cannot be displayed" . Seeing it is suppose to like a new computer due to a new hard drive, do I have to change my PW to get into the web? I have an iPad and another laptop that are all connected . My router is working fine too. Just don't understand what the problem is. Thank you Nannycakes
Honored Contributor
I am not all that familiar with HP computers so I do not know whether a pavilion is a desktop or a laptop. have you tried this wired to your ISP are you trying to use it wirelessly? I would suggest you try using it hardwired and see if it works that way.
hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I agree with hckynut as regards trying connecting to your modem or router hardwired. Some of the older equipment required that the first time connection be accomplished via hardwired for the initial exchange of information and then you could establish your wireless connection.

Contributor
Hello, HP Pavilion is a laptop. It was wireless before I had the new hard drive installed. I have a printer, another laptop and an iPad all connected wireless. Not sure why I am having a problem now. It was wireless always. It says connected but cannot surf the web
Respected Contributor

The message you get when trying to get online is because you don't have a internet connection. Who put in the new hard drive? It could be they didn't install of the drivers and your wireless/wired adapter isn't recognized.

Contributor
Yes this is what I am thinking no installed drivers. I brought it to an IT guy that just opened up a business. You would think he would know better. Don't want to deal with him anymore. Are these drivers something I can download, and where/what drivers do I need
Respected Contributor
Go to your control panel and try to add a wireless connection. Without knowing your system I can't tell you the exact steps.
Contributor
I have windows 7 , when I did that it tells me I am connected
Respected Contributor
On 3/10/2015 nannycakes said: Yes this is what I am thinking no installed drivers. I brought it to an IT guy that just opened up a business. You would think he would know better. Don't want to deal with him anymore. Are these drivers something I can download, and where/what drivers do I need

Where are your recovery discs? Did you make a set when the computer was new? If not, this is why it is so important to either make a set, buy a set or both. Go to HP.com, service and support, enter your model number, select drivers and software and download to a folder you create and name HP drivers. To install the drivers, find them in the folder and double click on each one. To make sure you get the correct drivers (if there is more than one choice), get into the device manager and see what's installed.

Esteemed Contributor
On 3/10/2015 nannycakes said: Hello, HP Pavilion is a laptop. It was wireless before I had the new hard drive installed. I have a printer, another laptop and an iPad all connected wireless. Not sure why I am having a problem now. It was wireless always. It says connected but cannot surf the web

You should check the drivers. I am having a problem with a bad copy of AVG. It blocks me from the web. It looks like everything is connected to the internet, but it is not. When I shut this system down I get a lot of error messages. I am moving everything over to a new computer. This one will make a nice media box.