Trusted Contributor

Re: Can Not Open a Website

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee , the name is Almost Home Foundation.  Thank you for going to all of those websites.

Trusted Contributor

I ran an update on my computer and everything is up to date.  I'm going to stop trying for today.  If I'm still having the problem tomorrow morning I'll try to download a new browser.

Once again, thank you everyone for your help.  I really appreciate it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Greetings, @BunSnoop!  I haven't been around here for quite some time...  peeking in tonight (this morning!😊) I saw your thread.  

Just about everything that quickly came to my mind has already been suggested by these incredibly helpful and knowledgeable posters, and I want to echo what you and @spent2much said, adding my appreciation for the kind and generous people who always show up to help.

We have such good folks here!❤️  

(I've often said that's why this is called a "community!")

I can feel your deep connection with the Almost Home Foundation (their name and their website touch my heart❤️) and I'm sorry you've had this problem connecting with your friends there.  I had no problem accessing the site with my Mac, and iPad, using Chrome, Brave, and Safari.

This error message is specific to the Google Chrome browser, and while using another browser might let you connect, if there are DNS settings that have been corrupted they might cause connectivity issues with different error messages.

Since you normally use Chrome without problems, you'd probably want to fix it so you can use the browser you're most comfortable with.

I was wondering about 2 things:

1--That error message should have more information in several lines of text directly below the "This site can’t be reached”...  what does the complete message say?

Knowing the complete error message helps diagnose and resolve the problem.

2--Also, you did say that you disconnected and reconnected the router, but did you actually restart/reboot/reset the router?

Try connecting your phone to the site using a cellular data connection -- completely turn off the WiFi connection on your phone and just using the cell service see if it will access the site.  If it does, that tells you the problem lies in the router/WiFi.  

Sorry to be so long-winded, and these might not be the clues you need...  but I wanted to try and at least add my 2 cents to the brainstorming.  

Fingers crossed you'll find a good and quick solution.  

Good wishes to you, and to everyone visiting the forums!😊

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

The site works for me using Chrome, so I don't think it's necessarily a browser issue. I don't think it's a setting issue as the settings wouldn't necessarily carry over from one device to another. It's possible your ISP considers it a malicious site and has blocked it. You might want to Google "Change site setting permissions for Chrome" and see if anything there helps.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BunSnoop 

I had no problem getting to the site with Chrome or Firefox.

Just to see what would happen, I manually typed the site into the address bar, but I ended it with dot com instead of dot org. I got the "This site can't be reached" on Chrome, and "We're having trouble finding that site" on Firefox.

Try manually typing the site from scratch into the address bar, and make certain it ends in dot org.

If you still can't reach the page, look at what's in the address bar while you're on the error message page and make sure it's correct.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

AlmostHomeFoundation dot org

I just now tried to open that site and I'm getting this on Chrome:

This site can’t be reached

But earlier this morning I did open it. Strange. 

It won't open on Edge now either.

Trusted Contributor

I did try to "reset" my router rather than just turning it off and on and that did not make any difference.

I also tried MicroSoft Edge vs Google Chrome and that did not work either.

HOWEVER, there is some good news............  @dooBdoo  mentioned to turn off my WiFi on

my cell phone to see if I could get to the site that way - and yes, that did work for me.  So now at least I do have a way to get to the site.

As for my Chrome Book and the computer I'm just going to wait until the next time we speak to our "computer geek friend" and see if he can figure out what's going on.

Once again, I cannot believe all of the time each one of you has spent trying to help me - thank you so very much!!

Snoopy Thank You Image.jpg

Honored Contributor

I think it's a problem with their server. Somehow it's not communicating with whichever servers we're using.

Respected Contributor

@BunSnoop 

Do you have anyone you know who can try the site?

See if they also are not able to access it. Or can.

Then maybe you get a hint as to what is happening and why. 

Let us know if you can and what happened.

Trusted Contributor

UPDATE: 

I was on my Chrome Book this evening and decided to give the website a try.  Guess what, it's working fine now and I have not done anything further on my end.  I have a feeling, as some of you  mentioned, the problem may have been on their end. 

Oh my, it's a wonderful feeling to have one of my problems resolved!