Esteemed Contributor

Blocking Telemarketing Calls

One my iphone 6+, once I receive a telemarketing call, I block the number.  What has been happening lately is a new one on me.

My phone doesn't ring and I get a voicemail.  When I call up the voicemail, it is usually the call about lowering the interest rate on your credit card.

What's up with this?  Anyone have this happen?  Is there a fix?  TIA.  LM

Honored Contributor

Re: Blocking Telemarketing Calls

Part of the problem is if the call is blocked than the caller goes to another number. We just keep blocking these numbers.

Honored Contributor

I'm in the metro DC area.  I used to have an iPhone 4s.  For quite some time, I kept getting calls from area code 301, with an exchange of 275.  A city would show up on the screen, but didn't match the city of the area code plus exchange.  I kept blocking the numbers, but as someone else said, they would just keep changing the phone number.

I recently upgraded to an iPhone 7.  The calls I began getting were area code 301, with an exchange of 307.  Once again, the city showing on the screen does not match the city of the exchange.  And the number would change after I blocked the previous number.  Finally, in frustration I recently answered the call.  It went something like. "Hi, how are you?  Can you hear me OK?"  I shouted "NO, and you have been reported to the FCC".  He quickly hung up.  Haven't had those calls since.  And yes, I did contact the FCC.  

I absolutely DETEST these scammers!  (As does every one else, I know.)

Esteemed Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1@Krimpette, I get that they keep changing numbers.  What is different is that the phone doesn't even ring and then I get the voicemail.  I was wondering if I was missing the call but I'm not.  Weird huh?  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom That is really very weird!!!

Trusted Contributor

Same with me @Lilysmom.I found that if I blocked numbers on my cell phone, their calls would just go directly to voice mail. Now I just hit decline or don't answer.

Esteemed Contributor

@Caffeina, I don't have that option to decline on Iphone 6+.  If anyone knows how to do that, let me know.  It never comes up when I get a call.

Anyway, I can't hit decline because the phone doesn't ring.  I suppose I could unblock the call but that wouldn't help either since I can't decline.  LM

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom  That's odd.  I've never heard of a phone where you couldn't decline a call.  That option comes up when I get a call on my new Android LG smartphone, but I even had it on my old, old "dumb" phone that I bought back in 2010.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom  I also have 6 plus.  When I block a call it doesn't ring and automatically goes to voicemail.  Because I never answer these calls the number the scammers use frequently  changes .  Often they keep the area code and the first three numbers of the number called (or they use my phone number with this configuration).  When I see this combination of numbers, I automatically block.  I was told during an Apple class that the only way to block these calls not going to voicemail is to set up a list of numbers that you allow to go through and everything else gets blocked  You can see the problems that this could make.  Yet, I've considered it because 97% of my calls are scams.  On the landline, since I set up Nomorerobo (can only be used on a landline), the blocked calls ring once and that is end of it.  They do not go to voicemail like the IPhone,  I just never answer my phones anymore and check it  when convenient in case there is a rare valid call that is critical.  I just accept this as security maintenance and it is a minor inconvenience as I never pick up and interact with the robos/scammers.  Any answered call only increases their attempts to reach you.  With these practices, my scam calls have decreased, but there isn't a day where there isn't a scammer calling.

Esteemed Contributor

@phoenixbrd, thanks for your reply.  I note that you have iphone 6+.  Do you have the option to decline a call?  It doesn't come up on my iphone 6+. I did a search of the settings but mine was already at the recommended setting and I don't get the option.

If anyone knows how to do this on 6+, I would love to know.  LM