Respected Contributor

Battery Operated Phone Chargers

Does anyone have a recommendation for a battery operated phone charger? With hurricane season revving up, I need something to charge my phone in case we temporarily lose power for a day or so. If power goes out longer than that, I will regroup but I would like something so at least I can have outside contact. During Matthew, I was able to keep my phone charged for a couple days but,since then, my "cigarette lighter" in the car has stopped working; it's an old car. I searched on Amazon but the reviews are so totally different that I was more confused than when the search started. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Battery Operated Phone Chargers

Some of the Halo battery chargers have an outlet for charging devices. The one I bought a while ago did not have that feature but I saw some later models presented that did. I have used it to air up a low tire and was very glad we had it.

Esteemed Contributor

Amazon should have a lighter charger. 

Trusted Contributor

@Carolina925 

I 2nd getting a Halo. Just be sure to get the one with an ac/dc plug also. Then you can run a fan or a lamp when needed.

I think Amazon may some similar chargers but can't vouch for them.

Honored Contributor

Look for a portable power station. Those come in all different sizes depending on your needs. I would get the most powerful one, listed by watts (W) or watt hours (Wh) that you can afford. Higher watts means it will provide backup power for more and larger devices/appliances and will cost more, too. 

What is a portable power station? It's a rechargeable battery-powered generator which you keep charged by plugging it into a regular electrical wall outlet plug until it's needed. 

Trusted Contributor

@Carolina925 wrote:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a battery operated phone charger? With hurricane season revving up, I need something to charge my phone in case we temporarily lose power for a day or so. If power goes out longer than that, I will regroup but I would like something so at least I can have outside contact. During Matthew, I was able to keep my phone charged for a couple days but,since then, my "cigarette lighter" in the car has stopped working; it's an old car. I searched on Amazon but the reviews are so totally different that I was more confused than when the search started. 

@Carolina925   I purchased a Halo power cube wall plug last winter in case of power outages.  I like it because you plug it into the wall to charge...once charged it remains full powered until you need it.  I have used it for my phone and I pad.  Plus I can throw it in the car or in my purse in case I need power on the go.  E234344 if you are interested. 

Respected Contributor

@Mombo1 , thanks, I'm going to search it now. Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

Trusted Contributor

@Carolina925 wrote:

@Mombo1 , thanks, I'm going to search it now. Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

@Carolina925    You're welcome.  It's "basic" but exactly what I needed.  Every product has mixed reviews...but it depends on what your needs are.  This was perfect for me.  

Honored Contributor

I've had this one in my house for a few years. It's an Anker Powerhouse 200. Cost was about $200. It will give me backup power for a small fridge for 4 hours and charge my mobile devices multiple times. About the size of a loaf of bread.

Anker Powerhouse 200, 213Wh/57600mAh Portable Rechargeable Generator Clean  & Silent 110V AC Outlet/USB-C Power Delivery/USB/12V Car Outlets, for Fast  Charging, Camping, Emergencies, CPAP, and More - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

What it can do:

• Universal Compatibility: Pump out the power for mobile devices, emergency equipment, computers, and small appliances.
  • Hours of Power: Charge a MacBook Pro over 5 times, a phone over 12, or even run small appliances like mini-fridges for over 4 hours.
  • Recharge Your Way: Replenish PowerHouse's cell capacity via a USB-C Power Delivery car or wall charger, or an AC power adapter. Compatible with 5-22V DC output solar chargers (not included).
  • What You Get: PowerHouse 200, AC adapter, power cable, welcome guide, our worry-free 18-month warranty, and friendly customer service.
Esteemed Contributor

I have purchased rechargable power chargers, Ankor brand from Amazon.  I am never without a portable charger, one in purse, one in car, a more powerful one for home, and  one that powers my laptop.  I drain and recharge every few months.  For my peace of mind I must always have the ability to communicate.