Honored Contributor

Basic Cell Phone for a Senior

Hey, guys.  My father, age 92 needs a basic, no bells and whistles cellphone.  His old flip phone doesn’t work anymore and they say it can’t be fixed.  He needs one with big characters and is very simple to use.  He’s newly in a nursing home and already we see that things go missing so the phone can’t be expensive and definitely no contract.  I see one here on QVC but the reviewers say it’s no good.

Any suggestions?  I have a tracphone and would love to get one for him but if it gets stolen, I’m wondering how easy it would be for me to deactivate it.  He also needs to keep his same phone # since his memory is bad.  Thanks.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Regular Contributor

Re: Basic Cell Phone for a Senior

I switched from tracfone to Consumer Cellular.  It nominally priced.  I love it.  They carry flip phones also.

Honored Contributor

Look into a Jitterbug Phone, I am sorry but I can not help with info on the number transfer

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Most cell phone companies sell prepaid simple phones. 

You may want to read reviews about Consumer Cellular and Great Call before you buy service. 

Honored Contributor

Consumer Cellular seems to cater to seniors, has simple phones and supposedly great CS.  They have an AARP discount.  They carry them at Target or online.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Why not get your father a landline?  There are plenty w/HUGE number pads.  Most light up in the dark too.

Screen Shot 2019-09-08 at Sun, Sep 8, 2019-1.25.11 PM.png

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the replies.  Never heard of Consumer Cellular; I’ll check them out.  The Jitterbug one had bad reviews on Amazon.  He can’t have a private landline phone at the nursing home.  He has had a cell phone for years and he wants what he wants, lol.  

Great Call....not sure what that is either but I’ll check it out.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

I’m considering that Alcatel Go Flip phone at Consumer Cellular.  Anyone familiar with that one?

Honored Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie : I purchased the greatcall jitterbug flip phone for DH. He is 63 with memory issues and hard of hearing. He can use this and hear calls. I purchase 200 minutes for the phone and bill under $22 per month. Have used the phone for about 3 years. No issues with the phone and for us excellent customer service. This is my 3rd phone. The first one replaced per company old tech. Purchased one for his mother. Normally in September they have a special for grandparents day. Current phone Alcatel with version service. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee , that’s useful information.  Thank you!