Honored Contributor
I’ve ordered a Seagate backup plus to back up my MacBook Air so I can transfer it to a new MacBook Air. How long will it take to back up my entire computer? I have a lot of space left. I know you can’t tell me exactly but maybe approximately.

I also know I should have been doing this all along and will in the future.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:
How long will it take to back up my entire computer?
How much space/storage do you have on the hard drive?

I have a lot of space left.
Care to share how much space/storage is left?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@NickNack wrote:
How long will it take to back up my entire computer?
How much space/storage do you have on the hard drive?

I have a lot of space left.
Care to share how much space/storage is left?

@Mz iMac   I have 204.05 GB left out of 250.79 GB.  I was typing from my iPhone originally, and my laptop wasn't with me.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNackAssuming you are using Time Machine.....

Check out Apple's Knowledge Base Article:  support.apple.com/en-us/HT204412 <---COPY PASTE link.

Scroll down to the"Your first backup" section.

Honored Contributor

Thank you @Mz iMac .  I had actually read that before I posted.  It just says it might take a long time.  I guess nobody really knows the answer until you do it.

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Re: Backing Up Laptop

[ Edited ]

@NickNackLast things first.  Yes, you should be continually backing up your computer.  If you're using a Mac, take advantage of "Time Machine"; it is very helpful.

As for how long it will take.  That depends on how much data you have on the computer.  Set aside some time for the first backup and do it.  When the process is complete, you'll see a message on the screen.  Don't worry about the time.  The process is worth it.

Finally, as far as I know, there is no backup system that will include the computer's operating system in the backup; it won't back up "your entire computer". Backup only does files and other data on your computer.

We have an iMac, an iPad and a couple of iPhones.  We have a LaCie "Rugged" external hard drive AND the iCloud for backup purposes  We rely on them all rto save our data.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNackWhat Cats stated: "As for how long it will take.  That depends on how much data you have on the computer."

Also, the size of your hd as well as your ethernet (wired) connection.  Ethernet is speedier than battery (wireless) connections. 

I have a 3 TB fusion drive.  Backing up from an old 2 TB drive to a new 3 TB using Time Machine along w/LaCie took approximately 25-30 minutes.  I did some housekeeping on the old Mac prior to backing up/transfer.  I have a super fast ethernet connection which helped also.

You can make your backup/transfer speedier by getting rid of the "junk" files you have on your old Mac.  Stuff you really do not need, rarely/never used and/or you can download later from a website at your conveince.  With TM, you can pick & choose what you want to backup/transfer.

Honored Contributor

Thank you very much @Cats3000  and @Mz iMac .  You've both given me some good information.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac  @Cats3000   This is a very stupid question, but can I close my laptop when backing up?  I wanted to do it tomorrow while I'm not at home and don't want my cat jumping on my computer.  If I have to leave it open I will need to be home.  Thanks.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack 

Closing it will put a Mac to sleep.  Leave your Mac open where your cat cannot get to it!   Like in a room where you can close the door.

I have a cat too but, there are 2 rooms he does not know exists.

There is a way you can do so if you know how to write Terminal scripts.  If not, suggest you post on Apple forums.  Me personally, do not mess w/the Terminal.