Super Contributor

Re: Back Up What's On Your Computer

On 5/27/2014 Lynnj said:
On 5/27/2014 gazelle77 said:

Thankyou for the reminder. I have a Clickfree I purchased about 3 years ago and just used it to update. Does anyone know how often you should do the clickfree update? Monthly, every six months?

Its so simple, I would do it weekly. But at the very least, monthly will work. And...if you have something important that changed since the last backup, do it immediately after you added whatever was important. So for example, if you just added a bunch of pictures/new document that you don't want to lose until your next scheduled backup, do a backup.

so helpful- thank-you! And yes, the clickfree took about 0ne minute to do it's thing!

Honored Contributor

On 5/27/2014 Cats3000 said:

This morning, I was trying to update a document. In the process, I lost the whole thing. I have an iMac and I use Time Machine and a LaCie external hard drive. I went into Time Machine, went back one day, and replaced the document. If I hadn't had that, I would have had to recreate the entire document.

Lesson: Back up everything (except the Operating System) on your computer. You'll never know when you might need to recreate something.

Always a good reminder and should be learned in computer 101, the easy way. With the ease nowadays of backing up your important things on any computer system that should be at the top of everyone's list. I used to feel sorry for those that lost important things but not so much now as it is so very easy to make sure it is safe and secure in a backup.

While backup on another type of drive is good, the real important things to me I always back up on more than 1 drive and also a DVD.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

On 5/27/2014 glb613 said:

I find people are really good at making copies after they've lost everything.

Yup. I'll admit that, with my first computer, I was an ignorant fool. I learned all the important stuff with that computer and then when it died, without warning, I learned about backing up anything important.

Back then I only had one computer at a time. Now I have a few and I back up pretty much everything from each computer onto the others.

Additionally, I have a couple of external hard drives and several flash drives, onto which I have all the stuff from each computer backed up. It might be over-kill but, unless my house is struck by lightening, I'm not losing anything anymore! Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Thankyou for the reminder. I have a Clickfree I purchased about 3 years ago and just used it to update. Does anyone know how often you should do the clickfree update? Monthly, every six months?

GAZELLE77- Your post prompted me to dig out my Clickfree. I plugged it in and both of the blue strip lights came on. Shortly after, the bottom light went out, but the top one stayed on. Does that mean it done backing up? Nothing came up on my screen. As you can tell, it has been a LONG time since I did this and I am a total moron when it comes to this stuff.

Any help would be appreciated!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Only thing of value on mine is my pictures... lots of them. I try to back them up weekly. I know if my house would ever burn down or something would ever happen the pictures would be what would be most valuable to me after my hubby and my KIDS (two chihuahuas)

Respected Contributor

Every week, I run a complete system scan on Saturday night and back up the hard drive on Sunday. I don't do the other types of maintenance mentioned, but I have my browser set up to delete all temporary files and cookies upon exit.

Super Contributor

On 5/27/2014 tends2dogs said:

GAZELLE77- Your post prompted me to dig out my Clickfree. I plugged it in and both of the blue strip lights came on. Shortly after, the bottom light went out, but the top one stayed on. Does that mean it done backing up? Nothing came up on my screen. As you can tell, it has been a LONG time since I did this and I am a total moron when it comes to this stuff.

Any help would be appreciated!

A screen came up, I clicked go.....in one minute it was done. Didn't you get a screen with a prompt?
Esteemed Contributor

Gazelle77

Nothing came up on the screen. It made a little musical-like sound and at the bottom of the screen was a quick picture of a page turning then it was gone. When yours was complete, how did you know?

BTW I hope the pain in your left side resolves. Have you been working in your garden or some out of the ordinary task? Don't let it go too long!

(I like watching the Duggers, also {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} )

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

"Time Machine" on the iMac does it every hour automatically. {#emotions_dlg.wub} It drops the oldest backup and keeps the newest ones. I can also do it manually if I want an immediate copy.

Super Contributor

The best money I ever spent on QVC was for a back up system. I forget the name! My account was hacked, and in the process my contacts were completely lost! After the first time, it's so easy!! So please save yourself the hassle/hard work of re-entering your contacts-buy this item!!