Honored Contributor

I'm on Yosemite OS. Tried to get the free High Sierra upgrade. Filled out the ID information, created password, but, I think it wants credit card information.

why does it ask for payment for a FREE upgrade ?

thanks !

Esteemed Contributor

I'm guessing that because your update comes through the iTunes store, they expect you have an account to do business with them, which includes a credit card on file.

You won't be charged for free updates.  

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

@SharkE, I just upgraded last night (and into this morning).  The first many times I tried, it told me that my Id didn't match the computer.  I don't understand that at all!  But, it worked last night.  I didn't pay anything for the upgrade.  So far, it's slowed my computer down considerably.  I'll need to take time to work with it, but at the moment, I'm wishing I hadn't bothered.  But, I know I need to.

Valued Contributor

Re: Apple upgrade

[ Edited ]

Best Buy has the ipad 9.7 with OS 9 on sale for $270.00. Apple has it in the OS 11 for $330.00. Does anyone know why the difference? Thank You!

Honored Contributor

Download High Sierra from the App Store>Updates

OR

Directly from Apple's download site.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@DJP wrote:

Best Buy has the ipad 9.7 with OS 9 on sale for $270.00. Apple has it in the OS 11 for $330.00. Does anyone know why the difference? Thank You!

Because BB iOS for that model iPad is outdated.

You can get that iPad cheaper than BB from Apple is you are eligable for their "education" discount.

Or, check out Apple's iPad refurbish website.

FWIW....

OS is for computers

iOS is for mobile devices

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@ItsME wrote:

@SharkE, I just upgraded last night (and into this morning).  The first many times I tried, it told me that my Id didn't match the computer.  I don't understand that at all!  But, it worked last night.  I didn't pay anything for the upgrade.  So far, it's slowed my computer down considerably.  I'll need to take time to work with it, but at the moment, I'm wishing I hadn't bothered.  But, I know I need to.

They always scare you with 'You must do this and that" not having trouble with Yosemite anyway. Probably leave well enough alone. I took out the 3 yr. protection plan when I bought Apple last yr thru the Apple retail store here in town. May just let them mess with it.

Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

I'm guessing that because your update comes through the iTunes store, they expect you have an account to do business with them, which includes a credit card on file.

You won't be charged for free updates.  

Actually macs buy their apps through the mac app store not itunes. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@DJP wrote:

I am wondering why an iPad 9 has an iOS at 9.7? 

IDK why unless it was a demo model or shipped to the store early (before the release of the 9 models.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~