Esteemed Contributor

@patticakes , for some reason, your name didn’t come up when I did the group reply.  Thanks for the feedback!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@jackthebear @gizmogal @Toot1920 @CJC @Nuttmeg @patticakes , did you do apple care?  LM

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone have iPhone XR?

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom wrote:

@jackthebear @gizmogal @Toot1920 @CJC @Nuttmeg @patticakes , did you do apple care?  LM

never

have had pads 2 watches

2 or 3 phones and never needed it for the cost could have bought several

most problems can fix myself

Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone have iPhone XR?

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom wrote:

Have 2 iPads and the iPhone XR is my 3rd iPhone, trading up every few years. Never have had Apple Care on any of my Apple devices, all bought new, none bought at any Apple Store. 

I have found the standard Apple warranty sufficient, mainly because not one device of any of the 5 I’ve owned has ever been defective or failed to perform properly. I’ve never needed to make a warranty claim or require a repair from Apple. There are loads of in-home or carry-in services to replace a tired battery or a cracked screen after a mishap. 

Apple Care is very expensive and I have never regretted not buying it. 

Your mileage may vary, as the saying goes. 

Super Contributor

@Lilysmom, I have had AppleCare on 1 item, I think it was on my Mac Mini. The one good thing is that I’ve called them regarding other devices and haven’t had an issue with them helping solving any issues. Most of the time, some of your questions will be covered under initial warranty. And, if you live close to an Apple store, Best Buy, or even your phone carrier, they can answer any of your questions. I don’t live close to an Apple store, so what I do is jot down any questions or concerns (that don’t need immediate attention) in the “Notes” app. That way when I’m going to the Apple store, I can ask my questions. I know that people say that you need an appointment, but I’ve never had one and just waited. Never really had to wait too long. 

Esteemed Contributor
I do not buy a service contract on a tablet. I do on an Samsung phone. I would not buy Apple Care. This phone should run fine with its regular warranty.

Esteemed Contributor

@jackthebear @gizmogal @Toot1920 @Nuttmeg @CJC , they did a really hard sell for me on the warranty.  I said I would think about it.  You have 60 days to decide.  I had it on my first iPhone and never had it again.  They really pressured me because of the glass back, not aluminun, and the glass screen.

I went to Costco and got a phone cover and glass screen protector and their advice was to get it also.

My DH just advised me that Royal Bank Visa Infinite AVION has added coverage as follows if you buy with their card, which I did.  I think I am going to pass on the coverage.

Thanks for your input...LM

IN THIS ARTICLE

How mobile device insurance works

Credit cards that offer mobile device insurance

RBC Avion cards offer good, flexible travel rewards with some pretty decent insurance coverage as well.

And now, the RBC Visa Infinite Avion and the RBC Avion Visa Infinite Privilege offer mobile device insurance as part of their suite of coverage. Sadly, it isn’t included with the RBC Visa Platinum Avion.

This new coverage will provide up to $1,500 in protection if something happens to your mobile device – which isn’t offered by many credit cards.

How mobile device insurance works

So how does mobile device insurance work?

First, you have to charge the cost of the new device to your card. Or, if it was included as part of a phone plan, the cost of the plan must be charged to your card.

Your phone will be covered for 2 years for any of the following reasons:

accidental damage,

physical loss, or

mechanical failure.

How much will you be covered for?

While these RBC cards provide up to $1,500 in coverage, you’ll only be covered up to the cost of the device, minus depreciation. For RBC cards, that’s 2% per month.

You’ll also have to pay a 10% deductible off the depreciated value as well.

So, say your device cost $500 and you make a claim 6 months later. Here’s what your payout would be:

Depreciated value = 500 – (500 x 2% x 6 months) = $440

Then, you remove the deductible from this number:

Total Insurance Payout = 440 – (440 x 10%) = $396

However, every card is a little different. Be sure to read all the details of your insurance certificate to know exactly how it works.