Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone have a Chromebook?

On 7/27/2014 gardenman said:
On 7/27/2014 Sunshine Kate said:
On 7/27/2014 happy housewife said:
On 7/27/2014 Sunshine Kate said:

Would it be safe to pay bills from a Chromebook through my bank?

I have been doing so since around April with no problem.

Thanks!

It does pay to be on a secure network when doing so and not a public wifi hotspot.

Isn't that the same be it on a windows computer or a android tablet? I think it is!

Respected Contributor

Public Wifi hotspots are not secure. Never do any banking if you are using one.

Respected Contributor

I found an HP Chromebook that has free 4G for 2 years. Does that mean it can be used while traveling in the car? It says it uses T-Mobile network.

If I want to only use my home's personal modem, can that be used in connection with the free 4G or my own modem?

Can anyone answer? Thanks!

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for this helpful thread, OP. For those of you who use a Chromebook here, do you have to use PhotoBucket in order to post pics here - or use the HTML codes when typing to avoid the tiny font, as with iPads and other mobile devices? Does it perform well on the shopping side?

TIA.

Honored Contributor

On 7/28/2014 Sunshine Kate said:

I found an HP Chromebook that has free 4G for 2 years. Does that mean it can be used while traveling in the car? It says it uses T-Mobile network.

If I want to only use my home's personal modem, can that be used in connection with the free 4G or my own modem?

Yep, but you only get 200 mb's (I think) per month. Oh, and you should be advised they've recently changed that to free 4G for the life of the device, not just for 2 years.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

On 7/28/2014 Q-Anu said:

Thanks for this helpful thread, OP. For those of you who use a Chromebook here, do you have to use PhotoBucket in order to post pics here - or use the HTML codes when typing to avoid the tiny font, as with iPads and other mobile devices? Does it perform well on the shopping side?

TIA.

I don't think you can post pictures from any android device to this BB. I believe you must use a windows device. I'm no techie so I may be wrong but I was told that by someone on this bb.

Trusted Contributor

I bought an HP 14 inch Chromebook on Woot last week. It's refurbished so I'm rolling the dice and hoping for a good one. It should be coming this week or next week so I'll post back with my experience. I hope I love it. I'm looking for something that's between my iPad Mini and my 17 inch laptop, which can get quite heavy. I'm thinking that a Chromebook will fulfill most of my simple email and internet surfing needs.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I enjoyed reading them.

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Honored Contributor

On 7/28/2014 Stargazer77 said:

I bought an HP 14 inch Chromebook on Woot last week. It's refurbished so I'm rolling the dice and hoping for a good one. It should be coming this week or next week so I'll post back with my experience. I hope I love it. I'm looking for something that's between my iPad Mini and my 17 inch laptop, which can get quite heavy. I'm thinking that a Chromebook will fulfill most of my simple email and internet surfing needs.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I enjoyed reading them.

I'm sure you are going to like it better than a tablet for typing since it has a keyboard and that it is also larger. But much faster and way more lightweight than a laptop. Once you get accustomed to the speed of a tablet you get frustrated when you have to go to a windows computer.plus a laptop is heavy and hot to hold on your actual lap.

Trusted Contributor

On 7/28/2014 happy housewife said:
On 7/28/2014 Q-Anu said:

TIA.

I don't think you can post pictures from any android device to this BB. I believe you must use a windows device. I'm no techie so I may be wrong but I was told that by someone on this bb.

Thank you very much for the reply, Happy Housewife. Smile

If you are using yours here, it does appear though that you can format posts normally and in the regular sized font. I can only do that by typing in the HTML codes with my iPad. And shopping by this or my iPhone - even with the app is horrible. Most times my items won't go into my cart. Do you have such issues with your Chromebook, and do the videos here work well for you? TIA!

Honored Contributor

A bad experience I had with my Asus tablet -- I went to my banking site to pay my bills - at our banks site you list all the payments and they give you a transaction # for each one - then you have to review them and hit send. I did all that and a few weeks later we realized none of them had been actually sent. After that I never used my Asus to pay bills again - just didn't trust it. Once I got my chromebook I gave it a test trial and it worked fine with the banks site and I have been using it - though I always recheck back to be sure it has gone through and the payments are scheduled.

I use it a lot - way too much - to online shop. I have never had an issue so far. I pretty much use this computer exclusively now. Just the other day my DH bought me a lap table to make it easier for me to type - $10 at walmart if you want to check them out.