Super Contributor

Re: Anyone have a Chromebook?

I've been curious about Chromebooks for so long now. I'll be watching this thread to see what everyone has to say about them.

Thanks for starting this thread!!

Esteemed Contributor

I bought my Chromebook a year or so ago specifically because I wanted to take it with me on vacation - there is a specific website that I could access my work computer from and I didn't want to lug my larger, more expensive laptop. I actually now use it much more than my laptop because it is smaller and so fast to log on. Unfortunately, I can no longer log onto my work computer anymore as Chromebook no longer supports the Citrix application needed to access the site. [Should check to see if there has been any new fixes for this, actually.]

I don't do anything with photos or scrapbooking, etc. Just use it for the internet and I love it for that.

Respected Contributor

I've been wondering too. Will keep an eye out for more replies.

Honored Contributor

It is lightweight and very quick to log on. Nice to carry with you anywhere. The camera on mine stinks but I can use the very nice camera on my phone and they automatically transfer over here to my computer - don't ask me how that works because i don't know but every picture i take with my phone has appeared on my chromebook without me doing anything to make that happen.

Honored Contributor

On 7/27/2014 Q_spirit said:
On 7/27/2014 gardenman said:

Just a heads up if anyone's interested, a refurbished Toshiba Chromebook is a Shell Shocker Deal at Newegg.com today (7/27/2014) for $184.99 from 3:00 PM PT to 5:59 PM PT. (that's 6:00 PM-8:59 Pm for those of us on the East coast.) That's a saving of about $85 off the normal retail price for one. The Toshiba Chromebooks get pretty good reviews at Amazon and have a larger screen than some at 13.3 inches. A lot of Chromebooks get returned when people find out their limitations, but if you already know all there is to know about a Chromebook, those returned units make a great bargain for the rest of us.

'a lot of returns' sounds of something to be concerned. )-:

It's actually nothing to be concerned about. You get uninformed buyers who think they can install Windows based software on the Chromebook and then return them when they find out they can't. The devices generally work better than most laptops on the market, but they use apps instead of the "normal" Windows software. People who don't know that, and there are a lot of uninformed people out there, buy them, try to install the software, find out they can't and then return the perfectly good Chromebook which can no longer be sold as "new." Therefore there are a lot of refurbished Chromebooks available at good prices.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Would it be safe to pay bills from a Chromebook through my bank?

Honored Contributor

On 7/27/2014 Sunshine Kate said:

I have been doing so since around April with no problem.

Respected Contributor

On 7/27/2014 happy housewife said:

Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Thanks!

It does pay to be on a secure network when doing so and not a public wifi hotspot.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

On 7/27/2014 gardenman said:

Thanks!

It does pay to be on a secure network when doing so and not a public wifi hotspot.

Thanks for the input.