Frequent Contributor

Re: Anyone else having problems with the TSV HP laptop

On 12/28/2014 AutumnBlonde said: gardenman - you are right with your analysis on technology in general. Nothing is perfect. I do wonder why the Chromebooks are malware and virus proof but they don't build that into all PCs. As I stated above I'm learning Microsoft Access with my 'cheap' PC. I understand why this PC is slow and I'm ok with it. I just don't understand why I have to weed through so many pop-up caution messages each time I'm on the Internet for 'MS help' info. I finally 'uninstalled' the McAffee Virus protection as it continued to display messages when I configured it to stop. I have created a new ID and kept my Mac presence separate from this learning experience so any viruses will not infect my other info. I've approached this experience with an open mind. I really like some of the Office suite features, but will keep the Mac and external backup (no cloud storage) as my first choice for personal and professional work.
The Chromebooks are Linux based and use cloud computing rather than local installation for applications. That Is why they are virus and malware free and also basically useless beyond email and browsing.
Contributor

When sending the TSV hp computer back. Did you enclose the software that came separate With the computer or did you send it separately ? Was going to put it in the box with the computer. Hoping they get it Nannycakes
Contributor

Heading to UPS to return this Laptop.done Enjoyed all the input from my friends here
Valued Contributor

On 12/27/2014 Cha1k said:

***** Warning: Biased opinion below -- since the OP asked*****

Apple products have an excellent reputation for working seamlessly right out of the box. That's not to say there aren't occasional buggy devices released into the wild, but overall customer satisfaction is very high for all Apple devices.

So many people base their electronic buying decisions solely on price -- not saying the original poster did this -- to have problems with setup, incompatibility with peripheral devices, maintaining malware defenses, etc. In many instances the time and frustration dealing with an inferior product far outweighs the additional $$$$ that would have been spent on an Apple device.

Agree completely with everything Cha1k states! Have been using Apple products since 1984 when the first Apple computer was released and have never been anything but happy with all of my purchases and Apple support, on the rare occasions when I've needed it, over all these years.

Also ... since about 2011, HP has been struggling with myriad computer/laptop/printer problems. First, they stopped releasing updated printer drivers for Mac-compatible computers, then they dropped the ball on updated drivers for PC printers. (I rid my home/office of all HP printers and now I no longer have any printer problems. Ever. Yay!) HP also began purchasing inferior computer parts from sketchy vendors overseas ... and on and on. A quick Google search will bring up tons of articles about HP's many, MANY problems.

Really glad to hear the OP has returned her HP.

Regular Contributor

Someone mentioned a Chromebook....I have one and LOVE IT!! Nothing to install, nothing to update. It starts up in under 10 seconds, no anitvirus needed. It's a great device. I got the Toshiba because of the awesome screen. It uses the Google OS. So no windows 8 to deal with. If you are just using your laptop for surfing the web, checking email and facebook, looking at pinterest and that type of thing take a good look at the Chromebooks. There are a number of different models and sizes. They are about 1/2 the price of a laptop. I really can't say enough good things about it.

Honored Contributor

On 12/28/2014 peggyhbsl said:

We have had several bad Apple products over the years. My daughter was treated very poorly in November by an Apple associate. They are not as good as they claim to be.

If you could spare the time, could you be a little more specific please? I was a Dell victim, and finally went to Apple, which has given us 5+ years of nearly PERFECT use/service. We now use ONLY Apple/Mac products, with absolute confidence. I AM interested to hear specifics about poor experiences though.
New Contributor

YES, MAJOR problems from almost the very beginning with my TSV HP laptop, like you wouldn't believe. I have been VERY patient with the issues. I called the "premier support" service several times and each time had to spend HOURS on the phone trying to resolve the problems. Also had problems with the McAfee Antivirus taking over 10 hours to run a full scan, UNBELIEVEABLE. I purchased at a fair price point for what I expected it to do for what I wanted it to do; surf the web, MS Word documents and emaill, that's it! Well I'm not happy with my purchase and now have to return it to HP. This is unacceptable.

Frequent Contributor

Bought the HP TSV from Thanksgiving weekend a couple years ago. A couple of months ago, started hearing a crunching sound every time I opened or closed it. Well, now the hinge on the left side has totally broke, so have to leave the laptop opened. If I try to force it closed, it lifts the plastic from that corner and will break completely. Got online and this is a huge problem with these models, purchased not only from QVC but from all other retailers. The plastic that the screw threads in to breaks. HP should have recalled these. Will eventually have to buy a new and it won't be an HP. Not Happy!!!

Robin~