Trusted Contributor

Anyone Willing to Help a Computer Cabbagehead?

I know nothing about how a computer works with any peripheral hardware, so please be kind and also patient.  I have a Canon MP560 wireless printer and a Toshiba laptop.  They used to work together well.  I had to buy a new router and now the printer won't print from the computer.  It will make copies, so the printer does complete some functions.  

Is there something I have to do since I have a new router?  Please keep in mind, I will need step by step directions if you know how to fix this.

Thank you so much if you can help me.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Super Contributor

Re: Anyone Willing to Help a Computer Cabbagehead?

This is advice from my husband, who did this for a living.....Did your internet provider give you the router, or did you purchase a new one? If you bought a new one, what type of router did you buy? It's probably as simple as changing your IP address of the printer to make it work. If you have the set up guide to your printer, you may want to review that.

Trusted Contributor

I would start by going to canon's website. Try support or troubleshoot. They also have a place you can contact someone via email or a group will answer your questions.

Trusted Contributor

I think it will be hard to give step by step directions but I agree with the above two suggestions.

I too suspect that it's a matter of reconfiguing the IP address so the printer and computer can "talk" to each other via the new router.

And I'd say almost everyone is a computer cabbagehead from time-to-time!

Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]
Respected Contributor

Any time you change a router, all of your devices need to be reconnected.  Chances are, you didn't connect your printer to your new router.  As posted, go to the Canon website, search for your printer model and look at the owner's manual and learn how to do this. 

For those interested, when you buy a new router, you can get into your router settings and change the name and password to your old router and none of your devices will need to reconnect.  It's very easy