Honored Contributor

I just got my renewal notice from McAfee and it is $150.  I paid $24 for 5 devices for the first year.  I did some research and Total AV is rated #1 and they are having a great price right now.  Norton is also having a good deal now.  Just wondering which one you prefer.

Respected Contributor

@Pecky ....I am in the same situation. Mc Afee wants $139 from me. I don't have it. Not sure what to do either. 

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

Windows Defender, or whatever it's called now.  It's free and gets good reviews.  As an added layer of security, I use Windows 10 in S Mode.  

Respected Contributor

I was rather surprised at the renewal price too $158.

Trusted Contributor

There ares several good free ones out there.  You might want to check your cable company too--Spectrum has a free anti virus too. Google free antivirus for reviews.

Respected Contributor

I did some research on my computer and it appears that I already have microsoft security installed and didn't realize it. So to pay for something else would be extra security, but do I really need extra security?

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Frequent Contributor

I currently have McAfee on both laptops.  One had a subscription which will outlast Windows 10 and the other was for 12 months which will expire mid February.

If I cannot cover both under the one subscription I am thinking of going back to AVG Free.  I used this anti virus program many years ago and was very happy with it. I worked for a small company at the time and our IT Manager recommended it.      

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr @I haven't been using any Windows devices in a long time, so I have not heard of this. What is S Mode? 

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D  I think many, or most, new Windows devices today start-up in "S Mode" but you can opt out.  If you opt out, you can't go back to S Mode.  I think "S" stands for "safe."  Basically, S Mode only allows you to install apps from the Microsoft store.  In that respect, it's similar, I think, to IOS devices, which only allow apps from the Apple store, and Chromebooks, which only allow apps from the Google Play store.  So, it's somewhat restrictive but, to me, it's worth the peace of mind.  There may be other aspects of S Mode that I'm not familar with, but this is the main one that's affected me.  

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@ValuSkr @I haven't been using any Windows devices in a long time, so I have not heard of this. What is S Mode? 

@Mindy D 

S Mode will only work with the MS Edge browser. In other words, S mode is a browser-based feature exclusive to MS Edge. S Mode is like a shoe that only fits Edge but not Chrome or any other browser.