Honored Contributor

Re: Another iPad question

[ Edited ]

Thanks, @Bridgegal!  It looks like the "Slide Over" or "Split View" feature at play.  You might want to try closing the Mail app running in background and then turning off "Gestures" to see if that eliminates the problem (you always can re-enable Multitasking features later if you want them).

If you get a chance, also take a look at the article I posted and others -- particularly those with videos -- that go though the various Multitasking "Slide Over" or "Split View" options just to get a sense of the features.

Fingers crossed that we're on the right track to resolve this.

Have a lovely day!🌻😊🌻

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

Thanks, @Bridgegal!  It looks like the "Slide Over" or "Split View" feature at play.  You might want to try closing the Mail app running in background and then turning off "Gestures" to see if that eliminates the problem (you always can re-enable Multitasking features later if you want them).

If you get a chance, also take a look at the article I posted and others -- particularly those with videos -- that go though the various Multitasking "Slide Over" or "Split View" options just to get a sense of the features.

Fingers crossed that we're on the right track to resolve this.

Have a lovely day!🌻😊🌻

OMG!!!  Turning off gestures did the trick.  You are the BEST!!  Thank you so much for all of your help.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Another iPad question

[ Edited ]

@Bridgegal wrote:

OMG!!!  Turning off gestures did the trick.  You are the BEST!!  Thank you so much for all of your help.  

What great news, @Bridgegal!  I'm sorry to be so slow in replying.   Thanks for the update.   Doesn't it feel good to eliminate an annoyance like this one? When we all put our heads together and investigate a problem, we usually can get to the answer.😊

I'm glad it worked!   

eta:  In case this shows up again, a few notes since I did some additional checking online... what you're seeing does look just like the "Slide Over" (related to the "Split Screen") feature which you'll see in a few images online like yours showing a slide-over Safari screen atop an email address.

I don't use those features -- from my perspective, while they have a reasonable use for some people the process is unwieldy.  

(Take a look at some of the articles and videos and you might find your eyes glazing over and your mind wandering...  I know it affects me that way!🙃)

Disabling the "Allow Multiple Apps" and "Gestures" normally won't permit this display but I see other reports online with the problem showing up again like a weird phantom, so it might take a wee bit more troubleshooting.  

It's always a good idea to check to see if the iPadOS is the most current for the device (my iPad 6 has v. 14.4.2).

Some other general "housekeeping" steps can help with the occasional problem, too:

In Settings-->Safari, 

tap "Clear History and Website Data" 

and on the popup tap "Clear"

In Settings-->Safari-->Advanced-->Website Data, 

tap "Remove All Website Data" 

and on the popup tap "Remove"

Then, close all apps running in background.

Then restart the iPad.  

Be safe and well.😊

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Bridgegal wrote:

What great news, @Bridgegal!  I'm sorry to be so slow in replying.   Thanks for the update.   Doesn't it feel good to eliminate an annoyance like this one? When we all put our heads together and investigate a problem, we usually can get to the answer.😊

I'm glad it worked!   

Be safe and well.😊

I debated whether I would respond or not. Bad news is that it still opens that was sometimes.  I can't figure out why or when and have decided just to live with it.  If I ever need to go to an apple store , I'll ask them about it.   Weird that it's only on my iPad not iPhone but I know they are different.   Thanks again.