Respected Contributor

An annoying problem with Firefox

I don't know when it started but, on many websites I need to click the back button twice before any action happens.  If it was only one site, I'd blame the site but, it's multiple sites.  Is this something to due with my computer or are websites trying to keep you at their site longer?  I ran all the scans and deleted history/cookies and nothing improved.  Thanks. 

Honored Contributor

Re: An annoying problem with Firefox

@glb613 

At our "old" house, we had to continually unplug or turn off the modem due to "digital bits" or "trash" that clogged the internet. This phenomen was relatively recent, starting only two years ago or so.

Here at our new place of residence, I have noticed what I thought was less responsive screens. 

But I think you might be right...companies wanting to keep you longer at their sites have really taken a bite out of my time lately.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

@LTT1 @glb613

I agree with both of you with the slow response online. There is more traffic , and getting to a site takes longer. 

Honored Contributor

It seems like a lot of stuff online is less responsive these days. Verizon recently boosted my speed to their one gig speed (544 Mbps as I type this) but I didn't even know it as nothing changed in terms of performance online. I'd been getting 100 Mbps, so you'd think everything would be much faster. Nah. It's the same as it was before at 100 Mbps. The only way I can see a difference is by running a speed test. Performance-wise, everything is the same as it was before and sometimes maybe a tick slower. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

@glb613 

Without posting the actual links, can you share a couple of sites where this happens? I use Firefox regularly so I'll try and see if I have the same problem.

Contributor

Firefox just sucks at this. More errors than ever.

Respected Contributor

@Caffeina wrote:

@glb613 

Without posting the actual links, can you share a couple of sites where this happens? I use Firefox regularly so I'll try and see if I have the same problem.

This is the worst:

https://www.imdb.com/

Honored Contributor

Have you checked your internet speed?

Tested another browser?

Since the "closures," more folks are using the net more so than ever.  Some internet providers are increasing their speed at no cost to their customers. 

I use a wireless mouse that I can "swipe" rather than using browsers back & forward buttons.   I tried to reproduce your issue by using FF back & forward arrows.  I am not experiencing what you are. 

FFIW:  Waterfox is my default browser.  FF is one of my backups.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@Caffeina wrote:

@glb613 

This is the worst:

https://www.imdb.com/

@glb613 

I checked it out and had the same problem with Firefox, but not with Edge. But I think I figured out what was causing it for me.

I had my Enhanced Tracking Protection (Tools > Options > Privacy & Security) set to Custom with everything checked. The pages did not go back in one click. I changed the setting from Custom to Standard, and the back button worked fine. It also works fine if I leave it on Custom but uncheck cookies.

Check your settings. If it's not that, it might also be caused by an ad blocker if you're using one. If you are, try disabling it and see if that helps.

Esteemed Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

I don't know when it started but, on many websites I need to click the back button twice before any action happens.  If it was only one site, I'd blame the site but, it's multiple sites.  Is this something to due with my computer or are websites trying to keep you at their site longer?  I ran all the scans and deleted history/cookies and nothing improved.  Thanks. 

@glb613 

I'm using Firefox on a desktop computer, so I went to imdb.com to see how it responded for me.  Everything was quick, including the back button.  Our internet provider is AT&T, but I couldn't tell you what our speed is.  I do know we're not paying for any extraordinary fast speed - Mr. Shoes is too cheap for that, ha ha!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett