Honored Contributor

Amazon Fire HD 8 Plus Tablet

I just saw the presentation on Amazon tablet Fire HD 8 plus 32GB.  The price is $80 comes with cover and a few other things.  I don't have a tablet and do want to purchase one.  I went to Amazon to check what they have and they have this one and a 64GB for $140 just for the tablet.  Is it worth getting the 64GB?  I really don't have much knowledge on this.  Thanks for any input.

Respected Contributor

Re: Amazon Fire HD 8 Plus Tablet

I got a Fire 7 tablet as a gift last summer with 16GB. It didn't take long for me to need more memory.  So I would recommend the 32GB choice.  If you need more memory you can buy it.  And I bought a great case on Amazon for $10 and a stylus for $6.  Much easier to navigate with than using your fingertip.  

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a fire device, and the only option when I bought mine, was an SD card to expand it to 32GB. I love the device, and would buy the device with the larger memory capability. I have tons of books loaded.   It basically serves as a tablet computer. I recommend the device highly

Honored Contributor

I don't have this tablet but doesn't it have an expandable memory?  I bought one last year and returned it but was thinking that it did.  If it does, you just buy a SD card.  They're very inexpensive so there's no reason to spend $$$ for more memory.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pecky wrote:

I just saw the presentation on Amazon tablet Fire HD 8 plus 32GB.  The price is $80 comes with cover and a few other things.  I don't have a tablet and do want to purchase one.  I went to Amazon to check what they have and they have this one and a 64GB for $140 just for the tablet.  Is it worth getting the 64GB?  I really don't have much knowledge on this.  Thanks for any input.

@Pecky

A 64 GB tablet will give you about 50GB of free storage. A 32 GB device will have maybe 25GB.

Storage goes fast. 

I use a Samsung S7+ tablet as a computer replacement. The only difference is the processor is fast and it has a 256GB of storage. I don't worry about deleting files. 

I buy my tablets from Amazon. The company offers prime customers a 5 payment plan on many of their products. 

You should not have any trouble finding a case, and prime delivery is a plus. 

Folks have suggested buying a micro SD card. A  32GB tablet and an micro SD card should cost about the same. 

Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Pecky wrote:

@Pecky

A 64 GB tablet will give you about 50GB of free storage. A 32 GB device will have maybe 25GB.

Storage goes fast. 

LOL. I use a Samsung S7+ tablet as a computer replacement. The only difference is the processor is fast and a 256GB of storage. I don't worry about deleting files. 

I buy my tablets from Amazon. The company offers prime customers a 5 playment plan on many of their products. 

@Nuttmeg  I also noticed that Amazon offers to link the tablet to my Amazon account and also offers ad free.  This also has expandable memory so I may just order from Amazon the 32GB with the wireless charging dock.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pecky wrote:

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Pecky wrote:

@Pecky

Storage goes fast. 

LOL. I use a Samsung S7+ tablet as a computer replacement. The only difference is the processor is fast and a 256GB of storage. I don't worry about deleting files. 

I buy my tablets from Amazon. The company offers prime customers a 5 playment plan on many of their products. 

@Nuttmeg  I also noticed that Amazon offers to link the tablet to my Amazon account and also offers ad free.  This also has expandable memory so I may just order from Amazon the 32GB with the wireless charging dock.

@Pecky 

I never found a problem with the ads on a tablet, you can pay later to cancel them. 

The charging device should be nice. 

Enjoy your new tablet. 

Esteemed Contributor

I always buy the lowest memory Fire tablet and then add at least 200mgb micro SD card.  There's no reason to buy Fire 8 plus unless you are also buying charging pad.  But $80 is good price if that includes s&h.  I currently use a current generation Fire 8 and its a nice little tablet.  I buy my covers from a third party on Amazon for $10-$15.

Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg.  Have you priced SD cards lately?  I was amazed; their price has dropped like a rock.  They are practically giving them away.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Nuttmeg.  Have you priced SD cards lately?  I was amazed; their price has dropped like a rock.  They are practically giving them away.

@Kachina624 
Yes, the price is pretty reasonable for a small size Micro SD card. A 512 GB card can cost about $75 for a major brand. Samsung charges $99 for one. 

Thanks