Highlighted
Super Contributor

Alternative to cable, with DVR ability

My Comcast bill went up $22 unannounced in today's bill....$166 for one TV, DVR and Internet.Can anyone recommend a service where I can tape on a DVR shows? Thx

Trusted Contributor

Re: Alternative to cable, with DVR ability

I have Cox Cable and was able to get my bill reduced to $148. (saving $22) after a lot of negotiating and threats that I was going to cut the service.

This "negotiation" goes on every year and I dread it!

I will be watching this thread carefully to see if any of the posters has an alternative.

Honored Contributor

You can buy DVR's to use with an antenna. Some use a separate external hard drive that you have to provide, but the tuner/timer portion sells for $30 and up so it's not too bad. A portable hard drive can add another $50+ to the cost, but for under $100 you can have a fully functional home DVR that will tape anything that's broadcast over the air.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

If you get the 'itch' to move to another cable tv/internet etc supplier, I strongly suggest NOT choosing Spectrum. We got s*ucked into making the switch from TimeWarner to Specturm when Spec bought out TW. Spectrum is the ultimate worse - rising costs constantly, taking away channels you start with then you go to watch and BOOM you now no longer have this channel, nor that one, oh wait, I'm now missing 2 dozen of my favorite channels. What, they say? All you need to do is pick up this package, and that one too for a mere BLABLA $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$more a month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Oh that's it?  Sure sign me up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do not choose Spectrum. This is all I'm saying.

Honored Contributor

I have been happy with Dish Network for many years, just TV, not internet or phone. Have the Hopper 3 DVR that records up to 16 channels at the same time, and 1 Joey for the bedroom that wirelessly connects to Hopper. It can access all the same features.

Good techs and for me the price is reasonable. All TV providers change some channels, unfortunately some you like. All depends on their contract expiration with the Mom Network. Lose some, gain some, they are all pretty much the same.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

If you get the 'itch' to move to another cable tv/internet etc supplier, I strongly suggest NOT choosing Spectrum. We got s*ucked into making the switch from TimeWarner to Specturm when Spec bought out TW. Spectrum is the ultimate worse - rising costs constantly, taking away channels you start with then you go to watch and BOOM you now no longer have this channel, nor that one, oh wait, I'm now missing 2 dozen of my favorite channels. What, they say? All you need to do is pick up this package, and that one too for a mere BLABLA $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$more a month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Oh that's it?  Sure sign me up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do not choose Spectrum. This is all I'm saying.

Sorry you've had problems like that with them!  Smiley Sad    I've had them since they were called 'Charter' before buying up some smaller companies in the last year or two and they have been really good in this market.

We've always only had one cable company in my market.  I don't know  if that's standard, however, as I've lived here for decades.   But we have been with them for decades and haven't had channels disappear or bad service or any of that.     

I hope, if you're still with them, that they improve in your market.   I would not leave for anything, especially to go to satellite.   I have them for cable tv, internet, and landline now and couldn't be more pleased.  We pay just over $200 for all that, and it includes all the Premium channels, three cable boxes, and two CableCARDs (for my Tivos), fast internet, a dual router.    Whenever I've called them with questions or for help that has also been a good experience and  I always get somebody in the US.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some of the gaming systems, for example Xbox or Sony Playstation, have streaming and DVR capability. So if you have one of these systems then you can use it to record your streamed programs and shows.