Respected Contributor

Alexa Echo Pairing Directions

[ Edited ]

I will include the email that Amazon sent to me today. I have two Amazon Echos. One I bought on QVC and one my daughter bought me on sale on Amazon.  I have tried for two days to pair these together with no luck. I did what they said online but I could not set up a Group to create to link them together. You have to make sure they are registered on the Alexa App to do so. My newest one from Amazon would not update after two days. It says to give it two days for updates to take affect. After I created the Group and named it the update was there. Here is the email-you may want to save it. Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear that your Echo device isn't downloading the latest software update. Please accept my sincere apologies in this regard.

Before you troubleshoot this issue, you may want to check that other devices (such as tablets or mobile phones) can connect to your Wi-Fi network. If not, you may want to contact your Internet service provider, network administrator, or the person who set up your network for assistance, as your network may be having issues.

After checking your Wi-Fi network for connectivity issues, restart the device to see if this resolves your problems. To restart your Echo device:

1. Unplug the power adapter.
2. Plug the power adapter back in and wait for your Echo device to start up.

If your Echo device still doesn't update, follow these steps:

- Make sure your Echo device is on and has an active Wi-Fi connection. If your device is connected to a Wi-Fi hotspot, disconnect the device from the hotspot and connect it to your home Wi-Fi network.
- Avoid saying anything to Alexa.
- When the update is ready to install, the light ring on Echo device spins blue, and the device installs the latest update. Depending on your Wi-Fi connection, it can take up to over night to install the software update.

Note: Please do not give any commands or use the Echo device while its being updated.

Once the device is updated, please follow the below steps to enable the Alexa multi room music feature.

--> To enable Multi-Room Music in the Alexa app:

1. Select Smart Home from the menu
2. Select the Groups category
3. Select Create Groups to create a group
4. Tap on Multi-Room Music Group
5. Select a pre-set group name from the list, or specify a custom group name by tapping “Create Custom” and entering a name of your choice
6. Tap Next
7. The Alexa app will confirm that it has created your group

Once enabled say “play music downstairs” (if downstairs was your group name) or select your group name from the device dropdown on the now playing screen of the Alexa app to play your music on the selected devices. Please note that you cannot add a device into multiple groups at the same time.

If Alexa does not process your request, and you've used a custom Group name, check that Alexa can understand the name of your devices. For example, if the group name is "b3dr00m" rename it to "Bedroom" For best results, avoid adding special characters to custom group names and use names that have at least two to three syllables. You can rename your group via the Alexa app.

If the issue still persists, please contact us through phone(toll free) or chat for live troubleshooting.

By phone:
https://www.amazon.com/clicktocall-alexasupport

By chat:
https://www.amazon.com/clicktochat-alexachatsupport

Trusted Contributor

Re: Alexa Echo Pairing Directions

Reading all this makes me glad I didn't buy one.

Respected Contributor

@StraytoStay The Alexa Echo is not really complicated but there was a few extra steps to pair them. Amazon was excellent and answered my email within a few hours. I have the white one I bought mine at QVC  I don't buy the Amazon Music as there are so many wonderful channels and comedy channels and Skills that can be added free. 

This is not for everyone and to be honest I didn't think I would use it as much as I do. Not a necessity but fun to use. I probably would not have a second white one but it was a gift from my daughter. Thanks for your comment as I feel that way on many things I see for sale now too. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

Thank you so much! I just bought a set of two for my home and a set of two for my daughter's home as a Christmas gift. I copied/pasted this and sent it to myself.

This really helped me and should my daughter have a problem when setting up hers I will send it to her.

Esteemed Contributor

I purchased the Echo on Prime Day and had a terrible time with my wifi as it would not connect.  I finally called Amazon and their CS rep was able to go into my account and with a few keystrokes, she had everything up and running.  While I was surprised and not necessarily happy that she could easily get into my info, I was very glad for her help.  When I told her that I was concerned that it would not work when I moved it upstairs, she said that she would stay on the phone until I had it moved.  My echo works perfectly and I am so glad that she was able to set it up for me.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Valued Contributor

I had been interested in the Echo since it was first introduced but have been waiting for a price drop. The fact it is showing up on QVC at that price means there must be a newer version coming out soon, however, when does that not happen? After watching the presentation multiple times and hearing them finally say there was a SiriusXM app, thanks to price and easy pay - I bought two. I waited about 3 days before setting the 2nd one up to make sure it did what I wanted, but setup for both was a snap, even the pairing and I have been more than pleased with the results. 

[ Edited ]

If someone is facing the problem in their new Alexa Echo Dot, they can directly visit the website for the solution. Every type of fix has been provided on the website 

https://notresponding.net/alexa-echo-not-working/

Honored Contributor

It took me all of 5 minutes, if that long, to activate my Echo and Dot using the Alexa app which you first download.  Very simple so don't be intimidated.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment