Honored Contributor

Re: Alert about Adobe Flash Player for MAC users

[ Edited ]

@NickNack wrote:

Thank you @dooBdoo .  When I tried to disable the updates under System Preferences it says:

"legacy loader is trying to install a new helper tool."

I would have needed to click on it to allow it to do that.  I wasn't sure if that was okay to do, so I cancelled it.  Should I click on it?  I did try to find out how to uninstall Flash Player, and l will need to do that when I have more time.  I'm not very computer savvy.

@NickNack,  As long as you always installed/updated your Flash Player software through your System Preferences or the official Adobe website it's okay to use the helper tool...  but, again, in my opinion the best thing to do is uninstall Adobe Flash Player completely.  You always have the option of a fresh installation later if you encounter a need to use it, but since it's already considered essentially obsolete and support for it will be ending at the the end of this year that's not likely.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

Thank you @dooBdoo .  When I tried to disable the updates under System Preferences it says:

"legacy loader is trying to install a new helper tool."

I would have needed to click on it to allow it to do that.  I wasn't sure if that was okay to do, so I cancelled it.  Should I click on it?  I did try to find out how to uninstall Flash Player, and l will need to do that when I have more time.  I'm not very computer savvy.

@NickNack,  As long as you always installed/updated your Flash Player software through your System Preferences or the official Adobe website it's okay to use the helper tool...  but, again, in my opinion the best thing to do is uninstall Adobe Flash Player completely.  You always have the option of a fresh installation later if you encounter a need to use it, but since it's already considered essentially obsolete and support for it will be ending at the the end of this year that's not likely.

Thank you @dooBdoo .  I uninstalled it from the directions on the Adobe Flash Player website.  It also says that after you uninstall it to delete the following directories:

<home directory>/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash\Player and another one.  

I don't know how to find those two things to delete them.  When I Googled it, it seems to start after you've already found them assuming you know how to do that.  Can you tell me how to find them?

Thank you so much for your help with this.  Uninstalling it was easier than I thought.  I had looked it up last night and it seemed complicated.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack,   Super news!   Glad you were successful!   I hear thunder and just got an alert about lightning coming my way, so I need to shut down but I'll post this quickly to see if it helps. 

To manually remove those folders,

look at the Finder menu at the top of the screen,

under "Go"

choose "Go to Folder"

and you'll see a pop-up box that says "Go to the folder:"

and just paste the path name starting with  "/Library"  there to find and remove the folder.   

If you're unfamiliar with this process, look online for info about using this feature or take a look at the Apple.com article.   
(It's good to know, in general.) 

copy and paste this link:

support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/go-directly-to-a-specific-folder-on-mac-mchlp1236/mac

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@NickNack  dooBdoo is busy.  So I'll try to help you out.

"<home directory>/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash\Player and another one."

"I don't know how to find those two things to delete them."

NOTE:  My Finder setup is Icon view.

Open your Finder window.  In the column on the left, select the

"House" = Home

Screen_Shot_2020-06-19_at_Fri__Jun_19__2020-2_51_10_PM.png

Select the Library folder & click on it.

1.png

Select & click on the Preferences folder

2.png

Inside the Preferences folder trash the following folders:

Macromedia folder

Flash Player folder

Adobe folder

Also, check for .plist files w/names of the above.  If you find any, trash those too.

=================================

After doing the above, open Disk Utilitiy (looks like a disk in your DOCK) & run "First Aid."

When done, restart your computer & empty the trash.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Oops.gifdooBdoo beat me by a minute! Smiley Tongue

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you so much for trying to help me @dooBdoo  and @Mz iMac !  When I click on Finder this is what I see.  I don't have anything like what you say.  I'm clicking on the finder button that's on the very left in the dock.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack,

Here's the menu with "Go to Folder" as described in my instructions.

63CCF55D-DA73-41D1-8E43-F700121A9091.jpeg

Don't feel rushed to complete this part of the installation, by the way.   You'll want to eventually remove the associated folders, but if you're not comfy with this process take some time, read online about how it works, look through the files and folders to acquaint yourself with the layout, and then delete them.

(FYI, @NickNack, Your screen shot displayed personal information...  thank you, @Beth-QVC for helping out!😊)

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

Oops.gifdooBdoo beat me by a minute! Smiley Tongue

Hee-hee!😁   You're a gem, @Mz iMac!   Great instructions, as usual!   Thanks for being such a consistent and reliable source of help.   I appreciate you, my friend.   (And you always have the best pix and emojis, too!)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you very much @dooBdoo .  I finally figured out that the "Go" and "Go to" is at the top of the screen (like you said!) and not at the side.  I was looking at the side.  

I did what you said and typed in the path starting with /Library.  It brought up a lot of files, but none of them looked like what I was looking for.  I think I'll just give up.  Since I've uninstalled Flash Player is that possibly enough to do?

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

Thank you very much @dooBdoo .  I finally figured out that the "Go" and "Go to" is at the top of the screen (like you said!) and not at the side.  I was looking at the side.  

I did what you said and typed in the path starting with /Library.  It brought up a lot of files, but none of them looked like what I was looking for.  I think I'll just give up.  Since I've uninstalled Flash Player is that possibly enough to do?

@NickNack, I think I answered your questions in my previous post -- take a look first and see, and if I didn't just let me know.   Take care!❤️