Respected Contributor

I've owned three Nook devices. The newest one (four years old) has died.

Someone suggested changing to Kindle Fire.

I'd appreciate it if anyone would state advantages/disadvantages.

(Also, can Nook items be switched over to Kindle devices?)

Honored Contributor

Re: After Nook, where to go?

I didn't even know Nooks were still around.  I know nothing about Nooks but you can go on Amazon to check out all the features of a Kindle Fire.  I love mine, I've upgraded a couple of times and I've given them as gifts.  

Honored Contributor

@insomniac2 wrote:

I've owned three Nook devices. The newest one (four years old) has died.

Someone suggested changing to Kindle Fire.

I'd appreciate it if anyone would state advantages/disadvantages.

(Also, can Nook items be switched over to Kindle devices?)

@insomniac2 - I love my Nook too! I'm still using my old original one.

Just FYI - if you have another device you can download the Nook app and read your books and magazines that way. DH reads on his laptop and on his ipad - wherever he is! I think Kindle is an Amazon app that has nothing to do with Barnes and Noble. I don't know whether or not they're compatible. I hope someone else can help with that!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Do you have an iPad or tablet? If so, download the nook app, sign in, and you can access your library on it.

Respected Contributor

I wouldn't use a Kindle Fire for reading, although you certainly can. I prefer the Kindle Paperwhite. It's very lightweight and easy to hold in one hand or to stick in my purse. And the battery lasts a long time. Of course you can use the Fire for other purposes but for me it is not as convenient as the Paperwhite.

Trusted Contributor

You can convert the files to make them compatible. There are all kinds of free apps. I do it all the time and have never had an issue.

Regular Contributor

Hi insomiac2:  depends on what you are looking for if you decide to switch out from your Nook. I have never had a Nook but have been a KIndle user since they came out; I've always had two, one in my purse and one for home....they are interchangeable among devices and the Kindle app means you can also read on iPhone or iPad. Kindles are extremely user friendly. I have gotten Amazon fire tablets for my grandkids and they liked them, but I don't want the weight and am not interested is using it as a tablet; I want a designated reader only. your library is always accessible on Amazon and there are several choices in different price ranges. I'll never be without my Kindle,  the new Paperwhite is very lightweight and has a larger reading surface with great light intensity settings. Good hunting!  I know I always get excited when contemplating a new "decide"!  Let us know?

Regular Contributor

Jeese....that was "devise".. 🙄

Honored Contributor

I highly recommend a Kindle Paperwhite.  I love mine.  I have never had a Kindle Fire but have read that the Paperwhite is much better for reading a book than the Kindle Fire.  

It's very lightweight and easy to learn how to use.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I started out with Nook, then went to Kindle, then Samsung Tablet and then small iPad. 

I can get Kindle, Nook and Library books on my ipad with all the apps.  Don't have to convert files. 

I was always purchasing an ereader or tablet that was 1-2 years old to save money.  I've found battery wise and easy of use, that I really like the ipad.