Trusted Contributor

Re: Advice, please Re: Kindle

I have an eye disease that makes it difficult for me to read small print and the size of print I can read varies based on the time of day.  My kindle allows me to change the font size any time I want.  My brother bought me a basic kindle about 5 years ago and it changed my life.  I had basically stopped reading until I received my kindle.

It is easy to use.  I use Amazon gift cards to buy my kindle books.  All you have to do is go on Amazon.com and pull up the kindle book section, click on the book you want to buy, put your gift card info in when you check out, and Amazon transfers the book to your kindle.  Amazon will keep track of your account so you can check you account balance anytime.

I would highly recommend a kindle for your MIL.

Respected Contributor

Kindle Paperwhite, you can enlarge font, choose a very clear print and brighten the pages. 

It is simple,no bells and whistles and you can set it up for her. A few short tutorials and she’ll be reading up a storm.

How wonderful for you to take such good care of her.

I bet you’re both very special ladies.

There is usually specials going on from Amaz.

Honored Contributor

If you are afraid it will get stolen or broken, refurbished is the way to go.  

Also, the Kids editions have free replacement warranties for breakage.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

I second the Kindle Paperwhite recommendation. Having the backlit screen is awesome. You don't need to think about a reading lamp and it really helps to be able to adjust the brightness level. I also highly recommend the Fintie Kindle case. You can adjust the cover so it stands up on its own so you don't have to hold it. Works placed in the lap, too, but would be great on one of those hospital bed sliding tables that go across the bed or chair for food. Also, use a magic marker in bright colors, like metallic silver, and write owner's name all over the Kindle back and Fintie cover to deter "losing" the Kindle and case.

Love this cover!!

Fintie Origami Case for Kindle Paperwhite - The Thinnest and Lightest PU Leather Cover for All-New Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (Fits All versions: 2012, 2013, 2015 and 2016 New 300 PPI), Black

Trusted Contributor

Again, my thanks and appreciation. I've ordered a Paperwhite for my MIL and it should be here on Monday. 

I've the greatest MIL ever and I love her dearly. Anything I could do help her, I always will.

Thank you!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Buy her a 7" Fire ( usually between $40-$50), get a bright color and a bright color case (punch red or yellow?) and after you are sure it meets her needs (otherwise return it) put her name in indelible ink on Fire and case.  If it's a low ticket item and readily identifiable that will help with the theft problem.

Trusted Contributor

Well, she's decided that she doesn't like the Kindle Paperwhite. She told me tonight that she'd rather have my Nook Tablet because it's heavier than the Paperwhite. So I'm going to delete everything from my Nook, download her library card information, download some library e-books that I know she'll read and give my Nook to her. I probably should have done that to begin with, but I honestly figured she wouldn't like it.

I've been using my Ipad to read books, so I guess I'll be returning the Paperwhite to Amazon.

Mothers (and mothers-in-law)! *sigh* She's lucky I love her! *smile*

Honored Contributor

@PamelaSue72  You ought to keep the Paperwhite for yourself.  You'd probably love it to read books.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

A great gift for your elderly woman would be TV headphones for the roommate.