Esteemed Contributor

Advice Electric Razor as gift for hubby

Looking to buy an electric razor that cuts close and has a pop up trimmer. I have researched to death and decided just to ask and see what is suggested by real people who I can communicate online.  He has dark coarse hair and I simply want to buy him a birthday present.  His old Remington and old Norelco are no longer doing the job.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Advice Electric Razor as gift for hubby

bonnielu, As men age their whiskers get wirery and I think he may have to go  back to a regular razor. My husband never thought an electric razor ever did a good job.

Honored Contributor

I like the Norelco's better than the Remingon's, but it's been years since I had a Remington. I've never used a Braun, but they get good reviews. There are some off-name razors now on the market (Hatteker being one) that also get rave reviews. I suspect the off-name ones are Chinese made clones of the name brand ones, but people seem to love them.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Yep he is aging.... but he has dark curly hair and he once wore a beard and he refused to go back to it.  He has a joke that people used to say "he was my grandfather."  His razors are old.. and they barely cut and his eyes are not what they used to be.  Not exactly a win-win situation.  I just wanted to buy him a new razor without breaking the bank that would work.  Not getting far with that one.  Too  many choices and my bet is some  of them will not be 'wonderful."

Respected Contributor

Got my husband a Norelco #5200 at Costco.  He never liked electric razors but loves this one.  Shaves like a razor.  I paid $69 for it a few months ago.  It is now on a better sale of $60, shipping included.  Check their site, www.costco dot com item 1099643.  It's available to members only, so if you aren't a member, perhaps a friend could order it for you.  

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

Yep he is aging.... but he has dark curly hair and he once wore a beard and he refused to go back to it.  He has a joke that people used to say "he was my grandfather."  His razors are old.. and they barely cut and his eyes are not what they used to be.  Not exactly a win-win situation.  I just wanted to buy him a new razor without breaking the bank that would work.  Not getting far with that one.  Too  many choices and my bet is some  of them will not be 'wonderful."

I'd check out the Hatteker ones at Amazon. They get very good reviews, seem really well featured and are quite low priced. If I had to replace my two Norelco's today, that would be the brand I'd try, just to see how well they worked. They're very low priced (under $40) and get rave reviews (4.5 stars on average.)

Something else you might want to consider is a depilatory podwer/cream for men. There's a company called Magic that makes such products. The creams are sold as a razorless shaving cream. You apply them like a shaving cream, but then simply wash it off and the hair goes with it. The powders work largely the same way. You mix them with water and apply and let it sit for a few minutes and away goes the hair. They come in different strengths for different hair types. For men with curly hair that's prone to getting ingrown, they're a great alternative. The powders and creams sell for around $5 each. You get baby smooth skin afterwards.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!