Honored Contributor

I got a message that I needed to install Adobe Flashplayer.....how do I know if it is legit?   The download is sitting in my dock waiting for me to install.  thanks!

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs

Are you using a laptop or pad device?

What are you wanting to do? Like, what operation?

Here is my experience with Adobe:

at school I created a free account but used my home email

At school (computer) Adobe downloaded but with extras that I didn’t want, so I learned to pay attention to each question and answer “no” to ie: Macafee

I needed to use Adobe recently to fill out forms. Adobe reader and writer installed without extras on my iPad and I was able to use my same password, email. HTH

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@LTT1....MacBoo Pro 10.14.1.....

Customers send me artwork, purchase orders, etc.....I am guessing that is how I view the files customers send to me....I then transfer everything via thumb drive to my Mac Desktop at the office..

Respected Contributor

Re: Adobe flash player...

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I got a message that I needed to install Adobe Flashplayer.....how do I know if it is legit?   The download is sitting in my dock waiting for me to install.  thanks!

For some reason @Mom2Dogs I only get this message about Adobe when I am using the Microsoft Edge browser and only for certain sites so I don't download. Thinking it happens when I want to watch a video that requires the use of adobe flash player. I would go to the actual Adobe site and see if you can download from there to ensure it is legit.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

how do I know if it is legit?  

@Mom2Dogs

Since you are using a Mac do the following......

Delete the Adobe downloaded.

To download FL and/or to check to see if you need an update ALWAYS go to System Preferences>Flash Player>Updates

Click the "Check Now" button(s)

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@GAQShopr53...I only email, surf the web on this MacBook.

I will go to the web site, thanks!

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac, will do, thanks.

Respected Contributor

Got the same message and trashed it.  Didn't trust it.  I already have Flashplayer on my Mac.  I can go to the Systems Preferences screen, click on the Flashplayer icon and it'll tell me if the version I have is up-to-date.

Honored Contributor

Re: Adobe flash player...

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

how do I know if it is legit?  

@Mom2Dogs

Since you are using a Mac do the following......

Delete the Adobe downloaded.

To download FL and/or to check to see if you need an update ALWAYS go to System Preferences>Flash Player>Updates

Click the "Check Now" button(s)

Greetings, @Mz iMac and @Mom2Dogs!  This is excellent advice for those who already have Adobe Flash installed on their Mac.    However, it's not a pre-installed application on newer Macs (really not stable or reliable, it's rarely needed now that it eventually will be totally phased out by the end of 2020, and I removed it completely several years ago and haven't needed it since then).   So, those of us who don't use the software won't find it in "System Preferences."    If we decide we need the Adobe Flash application for a specific use, going directly to the developer's website and downloading it from there is the safest method.    Then, consider completely removing it rather than keeping it on the device (just my recommendation).   And, of course, never click on any pop-up that tries to tell you you need the software or need to update it.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

I got the popup, ignored it, went to system preferences, checked for an update and I needed to update the program.  So, it's possible the program was the one who sent the popup but, I never click on a popup no matter what it is.