Esteemed Contributor

Adobe Flash Player Download for Mac

the last time I installed Adobe Flash it turned out to be "fake" and I had to have my MacBook Pro worked on by Apple. I don't recall exactly how I did it, but I think it was from a prompt on some website I was on.

my computer has been fine since it was repaired but now I'm getting the occasional message that my Adobe Flash is outdated.

how do you know if you have the most current version?

what is the safest way to install the latest version?

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Honored Contributor

Re: Adobe Flash Player Download for Mac

[ Edited ]

@MariotaMurielle

System Preferences>Flash Player installer should be located in the bottom row.  Use it.  It's the safest way. 

The 2nd safest way is to get it directly from the Adobe website.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Mz iMac wrote:

@mochahoney

System Preferences>Flash Player installer should be located in the bottom row.  Use it.  It's the safest way. 

The 2nd safest way is to get it directly from the Adobe website.

Great advice, @Mz iMac!   No one, using any device, should ever download/update Adobe Flash Player from any site other than the verified, official Adobe site.   (The icon in System Preferences takes us directly and safely there.)   The same is true of any software we invite into our computer or moble device.   The fake, dangerous popups and malicious websites created to look official are ubiquitous and crafty, and it's important to remind everyone of this.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo

It's also important to never ever click on popups.  Set up your browser(s) to block them & also install an ad blocker which are FREE!

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMacand @dooBdoo, thank you. I learned the hard way about the unsafe pop-ups. I also installed Adblock as advised by my Apple genius.

now, one more question: I followed your advice and went to system preferences> Flashplayer. it is set to allow automatic updates and says "Adobe® Flash® Player is up to date on this system"

but it also says: "PPAPI Plug-in is not installed", and I have the option to install it. what is that, and do I need to install it?

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

mochahoney wrote:

@Mz iMacand @dooBdoo, thank you. I learned the hard way about the unsafe pop-ups. I also installed Adblock as advised by my Apple genius.

now, one more question: I followed your advice and went to system preferences> Flashplayer. it is set to allow automatic updates and says "Adobe® Flash® Player is up to date on this system"

but it also says: "PPAPI Plug-in is not installed", and I have the option to install it. what is that, and do I need to install it?

@MariotaMurielle,   You're welcome.   The simplest answer is that this plug-in relates to the Chrome browser.   If you use Chrome, it automatically updates this plug-in so you don't need to install it from System Preferences.   That option can be used for troubleshooting problems with chromium-based browsers, but in general it's not really necessary to use it.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

@dooBdooand @Mz iMacI really appreciate your quick responses and great advice. I don't use Chrome, @dooBdoo(I use Firefox) so I won't worry about that.

have a great night, y'all Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@MariotaMurielle"it is set to allow automatic updates"

I never allow my software for automatic updating.  I keep it at the "notify me to install updates" setting. 

This my personal preference.  I do this for all software that has that setting/option.

The reason is because some software I like the "older" versions better than the "newer" versions.  Example:  iTunes.  I rarely update it because each new update and/or upgrade is more complicated than the next. 

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac, I agree completely regarding auto-updates.   I prefer to get notification when something new is available and give it a look before I decide to install it.   I do keep iTunes (and other software) current...  many of the updates include security fixes and it can be a wee bit perilous to operate without those.

Respected Contributor

It allows you to check for any updates that may be available.  That's the way I do it.  I would NEVER do it from a website other than Adobe.