Respected Contributor

A question about iCloud storage

My iCloud storage is full and I want to delete some items from the iCloud storage only.  Every time I try to delete, I get a message do I really want to delete this from all my devices?  There is no option to select delete from iCloud only.  Any suggestions. 

When I was setting up my new computer, I don't know what I did to cause it to upload everything on my computer to the cloud.  That's isn't want I want and don't know how to undo it. At least half of what is stored I don't want saved.  Help!

Trusted Contributor

Re: A question about iCloud storage

@glb613 

I'll be watching for the replies to this because I originally thought I could move things to the iCloud and then delete them on my iPad/iPhone and it would give me more space on my devices but if I understand correctly that's not the case.  If you delete it in the cloud it is deleted from your device/s too. 

Respected Contributor

I have the photos I want to keep stored in iCloud.  Currently, every photo in Photos is also stored in the cloud taking up a LOT of space.  I tried to delete then in iCloud only and it won't let me.  I get a message it will delete on all of my devices.  What a mess I have.  I'm making a copy of my documents and will delete the contents of the Documents folder in iCloud when done. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Is there a way you could move the stored files into an external drive? Then delete what you want from there.

ETA -

In other words, start over again and don't sync your devices and hopefully you'll be able to keep or delete the files you want. Then move the ones you want to the cloud.

Respected Contributor

Downloading photos from iCloud is so SLOW!  What makes me really mad at Apple and myself, all of my documents are only stored in the cloud.  That is the way it's set up and I can't figure out how to get them only on my computer hard drive.  What a mess I have. 

Honored Contributor

Can you load them back onto your computer? 

Honored Contributor

If you chose to have all of your devices synced, turn that off.  My sister-in-law found out the hard way that, if they're synced and you delete something on one device, it deletes it on all devices.  That's why you're getting that message.  She was furious, but it was her own fault.

I refuse to store anything in the Cloud.  No one is telling me it's safer than my own computer.  It's already been hacked at least once.  And why would I give total strangers access to my personal info?

Respected Contributor

I'll have to check.  I had a project going on when my old iMac died.  It took a month to get a new one and I didn't take my time setting it up.  I'm sure I have my computers set to synch.  I know I have hard copies so, I may just delete everything and start over. 

Trusted Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

Downloading photos from iCloud is so SLOW!  What makes me really mad at Apple and myself, all of my documents are only stored in the cloud.  That is the way it's set up and I can't figure out how to get them only on my computer hard drive.  What a mess I have. 

I'm sorry I don't know what to tell you.  I'm having problems with the iCloud on my Kindle!  I want to free up space, and I think I've deleted books, but they still show up!  Oh well, that's another topic.  But none of this should be this hard.  Do they do this on purpose.