Respected Contributor

Question about Dooney pricing

[ Edited ]

i love my Dooneys and I am a longtime QVC customer, too. I want QVC to do well, but I cannot understand the relationship between Dooney and QVC in terms of pricing. If bags are priced the same at QVC as at Dooney, but QVC charges for shipping and, by law, for  tax, then I cannot buy the same bag at QVC but am forced to go to Dooney. I have two of the pricey new florentine bags, which I got from Dooney. I was looking online and thinking of getting another color in the florentine satchel, which is gorgeous, but I realized that paying tax and shipping at QVC simply is throwing money away; at Dooney it is about $500, but at QVC it came to $541. Isn't Dooney giving QVC a good price break so they can compete? Or is QVC getting thst price break but simply trying to charge too much? Something is wrong here. If I see some Dooney I like on QVC, I now go to Dooney first to see if they have it and at what price. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question about Dooney pricing

I won't call myself a Dooney authority, but the only benefit I can see buying Dooney from QVC is the variety of colors to choose from.  More often than not department stores simply aren't going to sell a handbag in five or more different colors. 

Respected Contributor

@Trix wrote:

I won't call myself a Dooney authority, but the only benefit I can see buying Dooney from QVC is the variety of colors to choose from.  More often than not department stores simply aren't going to sell a handbag in five or more different colors. 

Fer sher. I buy from QVC a lot when they have unique Dooney products, including tsvs. I am eagerly awaiting the Nov. 5 Dooney tsv! I am wishing that QVC had competitive total prices on the new Florentines and my gut feeling is that I would rather give QVC the money.

Honored Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

i love my Dooneys and I am a longtime QVC customer, too. I want QVC to do well, but I cannot understand the relationship between Dooney and QVC in terms of pricing. If bags are priced the same at QVC as at Dooney, but QVC charges for shipping and, by law, for  tax, then I cannot buy the same bag at QVC but am forced to go to Dooney. I have two of the pricey new florentine bags, which I got from Dooney. I was looking online and thinking of getting another color in the florentine satchel, which is gorgeous, but I realized that paying tax and shipping at QVC simply is throwing money away; at Dooney it is about $500, but at QVC it came to $541. Isn't Dooney giving QVC a good price break so they can compete? Or is QVC getting thst price break but simply trying to charge too much? Something is wrong here. If I see some Dooney I like on QVC, I now go to Dooney first to see if they have it and at what price. 

ezpay is a big factor in some products I think

Respected Contributor

Dooney has an installment plan too.  I think it is 3 installments.  The downside for me is their return process.  It can take forever and if there is a defect and you want them to eat the shipping it is a game of who can go the distance.  I also have tried ILOVEDOONEY and i think thatnsome of their inventory can be irregulars.  Soooo QVC is still the easiest of the Dooney retailers I think should you have a return. nBut I agree when you are talking about their very priciest bags you can save some bucks by going with Dooney.  

Trusted Contributor

I don't think QVC should charge for shipping Dooney's.  I just purchased a crossbody from Ilovedooney for about 60% off with free shipping.  These bags are discontinued.

Occasional Contributor

If you listen to what the qvc hosts mention, the advantage of buying from QVC is the ability to break up the cost in multiple payments, sometimes as much as over 4 or 5 payments.  I can't think of any other regular retailer who does that.

Respected Contributor

@hollys mom 20 wrote:

If you listen to what the qvc hosts mention, the advantage of buying from QVC is the ability to break up the cost in multiple payments, sometimes as much as over 4 or 5 payments.  I can't think of any other regular retailer who does that.

The Dooney site offers some "dooney  pay" options, too. I have never understood the value of that. It adds up to the same in the long run.