Valued Contributor

Something QVC moderators won't allow

I have run into a word that the moderators seem to think is a privacy issue. I see it as a health issue that should be allowed. People need to know and understand. I have sever All**gies. I don't want something that is life or death to be private. I have thought of having mine listed on my arm as a tattoo. When I was a kid, we had a small container of homemade peanut butter on our trays for school lunch. Today, it's gone to the extreme and it's not allowed in schools at all. All**gies have always been treated as just something you don't like, not something that can go from unpleasant to death. A lady I worked with became insulted when I couldn't stop sneezing because of her perfume. I told the one doctor's receptionist that I would wait in the hall until the doctor was ready to see me because of the candle burning in the waiting room. Why am I saying this? Because there is aloe in many of the products that QVC sells, and I can't use aloe. Sometimes the host or vendor say it's in the product, but there have been times where I have ordered the product only to read the ingrediants when the item is delivered to me and then I have to return it. If I don't know it contains something I can't handle then I may be in for a surprize when I receive it. It's not a privacy issue. I'm not the only person that has this condition. It's very common and we need to be aware what is in the products you sell. It's also not "just something I don't like", it's a health problem. Please allow a remark about all**gies in the reviews of products. That warns the rest of us that have that problem. It's not a slam against the product, it's a warning to others.

Honored Contributor

Re: Something QVC moderators won't allow

Obviously, you have a computer or a tablet.  When you see a product presented, go online and check out the ingredients and all the other specifications of the product yourself.  You don't have to wait for the host to mention every single ingredient in every single product.  You don't have a problem, you have total control over this.

Honored Contributor

while it's unfortunate that anyone has severe allergies to anything, if I were in this situation I would buy products in person where I can read the product list in detail.

does QVC not allow the word allergy to be used ?

Valued Contributor

@jackthebear@chrystaltreeI am very careful about checking ingrediants, I've done that many years, but the "you just don't like the product" attatude along with "your probelm you deal with it" is what those of us with all**gies have also dealt with all our lives. Even when we ask, does this product contain whatever, we are lied to. Often the ingrediant isn't listed or maybe it's just under a name we don't recognize. Your reaction is what we've had for years. Your problem you deal with it. It's not that simple. When things around you cause a reaction, you can't just get away from it. I'm not saying those things shouldn't be sold, I'm saying we need to know the ingrediant is there. All**gies sneak up on you, many times you don't know you will react. Those are the times that they should allow it to be put in a review so the next person is aware. The only way any of us find out that we are going to have a problem, is by trying a product and then we learn that product isn't for us. Being able to give a  warning to the next buyer is all I'm asking for.

Honored Contributor

Can you be a little more specific?

Are you say a Review was not allowed due to  privacy issues because someone had an allergy to a product?

I think all of us are sensitive to those with allergies, so no need to lecture us about that issue.

Just get to the point, you may have a more positive result.

@shopperqvc

Honored Contributor

I don't understand why the word "allergies" isn't allowed in product reviews.  Very strange.

Honored Contributor

@shopperqvc wrote:

@jackthebear@chrystaltreeI am very careful about checking ingrediants, I've done that many years, but the "you just don't like the product" attatude along with "your probelm you deal with it" is what those of us with all**gies have also dealt with all our lives. Even when we ask, does this product contain whatever, we are lied to. Often the ingrediant isn't listed or maybe it's just under a name we don't recognize. Your reaction is what we've had for years. Your problem you deal with it. It's not that simple. When things around you cause a reaction, you can't just get away from it. I'm not saying those things shouldn't be sold, I'm saying we need to know the ingrediant is there. All**gies sneak up on you, many times you don't know you will react. Those are the times that they should allow it to be put in a review so the next person is aware. The only way any of us find out that we are going to have a problem, is by trying a product and then we learn that product isn't for us. Being able to give a  warning to the next buyer is all I'm asking for.

Honestly, QVC was right.  Reviews should be about the products now our personal health histories.   This allergy thing can indeed be serious but it's YOUR problem.  Reading ingredients and protecting yourself is your responsibility, it isn't the responsibility of any retailer.  Their responsibility ends and listing ingredients.  It's also a good thing that they do not put such information in product reviews because it's all opinion and one persons story, which might not even be true, really wouldn't help anyone else.  If you want to talk about your allergies, you can do that on any number of boards online. There are communities dedicated just to that issue.   I can't wear high heels due to my back issues but I don't expect the hosts to talk about that during she presentations.  I don't expect them to warn me away from 4" heels.  And I don't bash shoes in reviews just because I cannot wear them.  You are not in a position to teach or warn or provide anyone about anything.   

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I don't understand why the word "allergies" isn't allowed in product reviews.  Very strange.

I think it's because she went into great detail about her own personal allergy history which which isn't a QVC issue and has no place in any product review.  She's looking for a soap box to lecture and complain but a product review is not the place for that.

Esteemed Contributor

So I gather this is really all about your wanting to post a product review that isn't actually a review.

Please take this the right way, but I don't want a description of your allergic reaction to X-ingredient in a product review. It doesn't belong there.

Valued Contributor

@ValuSkrI got an email from the Q when I mentioned allergies. They said it was a privacy issue.

The reaction on this board is the usual reaction to allergies. You wouldn't hand a diabetic a cookie and tell them it's sugar free if it wasn't. And they could probably leave a review on here if an item has more sugar content then they thought it should. And it's not bashing a product if an ingredaint is mentioned that could be troublesome. People have gotten outraged when a school has banned peanut anything from oil to butter when only 1 child in the school is allergic. But the parents of that child are doing everything they can to protect their child. Those that have never had a problem with them do not understand what can happen. It is a chronic condition that is just as much a health issue as diabetes, or anything else where your body attacks itself. There is no cure and you don't know today what you may react to later. You only know what you have reacted to before. A warning from someone else that has a similar problem can help. The "it's your problem, so shut up" isn't new. Nor is the anger from those that don't want to even hear about it.